A beginner's question of DirectPlay

Started by
5 comments, last by lxxxk 19 years, 6 months ago
I have just finished my first network game based on DirectPlay,everything works well,but some problem comes when I changed my IDirectPlay8Peer::Connect() and IDirectPlay8Peer::SendTo() from synchronously to asynchronously,they don't return DPNSUCCESS_PENDING but return E_INVALIDARG and sure didn't work any more,if my arguments are invalid why it works when sync?
Advertisement
SOS!!!
I havn't used DirectPlay but it has been deprecated. I doubt you want to hear this but in general DirectPlay seems a waste to use. Just use sockets.
Hey dude,don't frustrate me,I have just give up using winsock,I feel that DirectPlay is more powerful and more easy to use.
Why everyone use sock,the dispute of D3D and OpenGL is never end,but I havn't seen any dispute between DirectPlay and WinSock,can anybody tell me.
Well as I said I havn't used DirectPlay so I don't know if it's easier but if you look in this thread you'll find alot of discussion on DirectPlay vs Sockets:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=259766

it would help to see some code, but IIRC you must create the peer using a different function for async. either post some code or check your docs under the PLAYER_ID or CreatePeer.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
I think CounterStrike uses DP and NeverWinterNight uses sock,because CS has solved problems of NAT but NWN hasn't yet,it's my guess,don't know if it was right.

I like DP and it's security issue can be solved by other way.

Maybe I need to review DP from scratch,but so busy these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement