Total begginer here!!!!!!!!!

Started by
5 comments, last by Mushu 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I'm new to directx. I want to make tile based video games (like the original mario games) and would like to do it in C#. I am also (kinda) new to c#. Strait to the point...I need a website that gives me step by step instructions on how to do this. If at all possible I would like one that tells it to me like I'm 12 years old, and just getting started. Thanks alot, Cyro393 P.S: Really anything would be helpful here :) post whatever you think would be helpful Thanks again~
Advertisement
the best way to accomplish this goal would be to first learn the language well and _then_ to start working on your game (assuming that C# is your first language). jumping straight into graphics is going to make you insane since you'll need to use relatively advanced features of the language to accomplish your goals. I'd suggest starting out with a "Teach Yourself C#" type book and working your way through that first. working in this context means actually doing the sample problems, etc. After working your way through that, or perhaps while you're doing this working on a text based game would be a nice first step. it will introduce you to some of the concepts that you'll need for your tile based game without all the added complexity that graphics and sound bring.

-me
You can begin to familiarise yourself with Managed DirectX in C# using Drunken Hyena's Tutorials. I also believe that there is the intention to resurrect the old NeXe site, quite what it will contain is anyone's guess - but I'm placing my bets on seeing some useful C# and Managed DirectX tutorials on there as the people behind it are very good at what they do.
The greatest part here is that you are young. Be 100% attentive in you math class and get the highest score has possible.

Take it step by step and you may be the next Carmack.
************THOUE*****Spec:Intel: 2.8GHzAti Radeon 9800 pro1024mg RAMDevelopping C# DX 9.0c appsThx you!
You definitely need to learn the language first, and then I would strongly suggest learning how to program graphics in general. By that, I mean, the old fashion way, in DOS. It's almost entirely obsolete in today's world of APIs, but you'll get a very appreciative view of it all, and it will help you understand how to optimize much later on. It's how I went about it. And I'm only slightly loony 'cause of it =)
Have a look at www.gotdotnet.com, there are heaps of samples and a small managed community (Not that large).

Also investigate Tom Millers book 'Managed directx kickstart',

Here is another small site that has managed DX discussions,
http://www.xtremedotnettalk.com/index.php?

Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
IMHO, correct syntax must come before APIs are used.

You can program games just fine without the aide of 3D APIs. Make something like TicTacToe, or a text-based A*, or some other simple (boardish) game without using Dx. Once you've got that under your belt, then you can move up. But if you start too big, you'll loose the bite.

And cleaning up split spaghetti sauce all over your pants is just a plain chore, so don't spill it! [lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement