Gamespot Article on XNA and longhorn

Started by
31 comments, last by NineYearCycle 19 years, 6 months ago
GameSpot Article on XNA and Longhorn
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Advertisement
Ah, i knew they were going to bring the xBox to a pinhead integration with longhorn.

And on that whole 'plug and play gaming' thing, i would much rather them be able to wait for a while once then have to wait for the CD (DVD, whatever) to spin up every time something needs to load.

Annoying.
gib.son
Even more proof MS has no clue what gamers want. Why would I want my PC to be just like a console? If I wanted a console experience, I'd by one, and save about $1,000!

I'd also like to know exactly how they plan to institute a rating system - PC hardware changes about every 6 months, so any concrete "level system" would be outdated from the start.

TO MS:

Read Maddox's article he has some very good points (as usual) 7 reasons.

Also, instead of created an already out of date rating system, just include some benchmarking software with longhorn, then tie the benchmarking system to a web page where companies post minimum specs for their game.
Quote:Original post by Onemind
I'd also like to know exactly how they plan to institute a rating system - PC hardware changes about every 6 months, so any concrete "level system" would be outdated from the start.

Now if it were a color coded level system, it would indeed be immediately outdated. However, they can just keep counting. Expect to see level 83 systems available for purchace by the time longhorn actually comes out ;-).
Quote:Original post by c-gibson-s
Ah, i knew they were going to bring the xBox to a pinhead integration with longhorn.

And on that whole 'plug and play gaming' thing, i would much rather them be able to wait for a while once then have to wait for the CD (DVD, whatever) to spin up every time something needs to load.

Annoying.

very, considering most gamers, myself included, want LESS dependance on the CD/DVD the game came on, nuffin more annoying than a game which requires the CD/DVD in the drive even when it doesnt load any resources!

the whole 'play from the cd' thing works fine with consoles coz, iirc, they keep the cd/dvd spinning the whole time, so no spin up times, for example, contrast FF8 on the PS and PC, on the PS the switch to FMV is flawless on the PC you have to wait a good 10 to 20seconds while the CD spins up before you see it.
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
very, considering most gamers, myself included, want LESS dependance on the CD/DVD the game came on

I have to ask, how old are you? I ask this because all the gamers I know who are around my age (26-28) HATE the process of installing to the PC, especially at LAN parties, which are very frequent. Typical PC party means make sure that 1) everyone has the game, 2) they install it, 3) they patch it, 4) they can run it in network mode. For some games it's even more painful.

Contrast that sequence with: 1) Make sure everyone has the game 2) plug in the cables 3) Play. BIG difference. Especially since there are practically no PC games where you can simultaneously control multiple avatars on a single machine, versus the 2-4 player per box limit of a console. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in the PC gaming experience.
No Excuses
Given that I am 'around your age' I'll toss in who I like to do things.

Install once, throw CD to the back of the room.

Patch as necessary, not that it *SHOULD* ever be necessary. *note* CD is still in the back of the room.

Only time I should EVER have to fiddle with the damn cd is when installing.

Everything else is just lame copy protection.

Now granted, I don't do lan parties (a shame perhaps), but I don't see how it would be any different. Everyone has the game previous to the party and .. plug in cables and away you go.

No ?
Well, the point is exactly that we are used to installing pretty much the whole game on our harddrives. In most cases, the CD really only has to be in the drive for copy protection reasons, so obviously it sounds like a good thing to get rid of this. However, installing several gigs of data on your hd is not exactly fun.
I'd be very happy if I could just put in a game disc and start playing in a few seconds max. I remember playing Diablo 1, for example, it installed only a few megabytes on the hd and that was it. If we don't need to install at all, even better.

As it is, I have a lot of games installed on my computer that I play every few weeks or so at most, that's quite some valuable hard drive space wasted. Sure, harddrives aren't that expensive anymore, but I'd still be happy if I didn't need to have everything on there all the time.
I can imagine with that "Rating system" they want to achieve a slower hardware release cycle. Perhaps that could even be to our benefit (stable driver & OS releases)

Thermo
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
Now if it were a color coded level system, it would indeed be immediately outdated. However, they can just keep counting. Expect to see level 83 systems available for purchace by the time longhorn actually comes out ;-).

Yet this is the same inherent flaw dealing with hardware; an "unknowing" buyer will have no clue whether a 3ghz or, say, a level 83 system is the top of the line. Either way is dealing with numbers.

Quote:Original post by liquiddark
I ask this because all the gamers I know who are around my age (26-28) HATE the process of installing to the PC, especially at LAN parties, which are very frequent.

Oh no, the fearful process which takes 1-2 minutes. Coupled with the huge amount of quality games produced and this takes an insanely huge amount of time. [/sarcasm]

Quote:Original post by liquiddark
Typical PC party means make sure that 1) everyone has the game, 2) they install it, 3) they patch it, 4) they can run it in network mode. For some games it's even more painful.

Contrast that sequence with: 1) Make sure everyone has the game 2) plug in the cables 3) Play. BIG difference. Especially since there are practically no PC games where you can simultaneously control multiple avatars on a single machine, versus the 2-4 player per box limit of a console. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in the PC gaming experience.

Yes, umm, a couple saved minutes for overall hours of gaming.

As for split screens, sorry, but monitors are not the size of TV screens. There is also good reason for not supporting multiple players per-machine in PC games; have you ever tried those "two-player" games using one keyboard? That's right, they're almost impossible to play. Switching to controllers is not a viable solution, try using one in any precision-based game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement