x files

Started by
2 comments, last by Rolf 23 years, 6 months ago
Does X files support Bone/skeletal animation ? Anyone tried this ? (iam shall write my own custom 3d file format that support skeletal info, so i wondered if i can use the x format as a example)
c/c++/Java/Delphi/VB
Advertisement
Forgive me if I''m wrong, but I do believe there is a function in direct3D which renders a scene in wireframe only. email me if you can''t find it i''ll look it up
l8z
Take a look at the samples in the SDK under Xfiles int the immediate mode directory. If i remember, there is a sample that loads a dolphin and animates through the frames.

Hope this helps.
I don''t believe .x files support skeletal animation. I beleive they were intended for keyframe animation only. I have thought of 2 possible ways around this:
1) Load each ''bone'' in as a seperate .x file and connect them using a primitive (triagle fan/strip, single triangles). This is probably fairly hard to do, but possibly worth it.
2) Depending on your game, don''t have joints on the character (rayman style). If there were no joints, you just load in each .x file as a seperate bone (a la step 1), and don''t bother connecting the bones.

If all else fails, you could just use the keyframe animation instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement