• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ilian

alpha blending with multi pass characters

This topic is 5411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have characters in my game that requires several passes to render. I am need of a feature on them that will allow me to alpha blend my characters with the framebuffer so that I can fade them in and out. With a single pass character, this is quite trivial to do. But, it doesn't appear to be possible with my multi pass character. For the sake of explanation and simplification lets take one case. Lets say I have a two pass character, the first pass is the bump pass, and the second pass is the diffuse pass. In the normal case, the bump pass is applied as a solid, and the diffuse pass is multipied with it. Color = Bump pass * Diffuse pass. instead I need something like C = (B*D)*a + (1-a)*framebuffer which obviously isnt DIRECTLY possible with the two passes seperated like this. Now, how would I go about keeping this model as two passes like this, but being able to fade it in and out? I am using dx8.1 using pixel and vertex shaders versions 1.1 Looking for either the solution, advice, aproximations, whatever you got to keep me thinking on this problem =)

Advertisement
thanks for the suggestion, and that is most definately an interesting idea.

My initial reaction, however, is that solution is, unfortunately not going to be viable in this project/engine, but I won't compltely disregard so quickly, I'll give it some thought.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!