• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FlamingTeddiz

c++ 6,7 and .net

This topic is 5411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have microsoft visual c++ 5.0 and want to know what i should get next. i have a few programs that requires compiling in 6 or 7. but what is .net 2003 and all that stuff. should i just get 6.0 or 7.0, would code from 5 work in 6 or 7. can someone explane all the different versions of c++ to me please? thanks

Advertisement
First of all, these aren't different versions of C++. C++ is a language. Visual C++ is a compiler, and IT has versions.... but the underlying language is the same.

Visual C++ 6: Stone age. Horrible standards compliance, buggy standard library, so-so optimizer.

Visual C++ 7: Also known as Visual C++ .NET and Visual C++ .NET 2002. Much better standards compliance, good standard library, good optimizer.

Visual C++ 7.1: Also known as Visual C++ .NET 2003. GREAT standards compliance, same standard library as 2002 (I think), great optimizer.

Code from 5.0 will probably work in 6.0 without changes. .NET versions will likely require some minor changes, but MS has been pretty good at backwards compatibility.

well there's 6, 7, 7.1, and a beta for what will become 8 (I think).

7 and 7.1 are the .net versions - I think .net is 7, and .net 2003 is 7.1. I personally use 6, but I wouldn't really recommend getting that, since it's pretty old by now...but I suppose it depends on what you're going to use it for. I don't know about the IDE for 7 and 7.1, but the compiler is supposed to be much less bloated and efficient than 6, and 6 also can't handle certain situations with templates etc.

You should probably look on msdn (no link, my internet is slow today), they have charts and lists comparing features from the different products.

*edit* heh Snetful posted as I was writing this...6 isn't near as bad as he makes it sound, and the list of non-standard-compliant problems it has that are solved in 7 and 7.1 is a whole 5 or 6 items long, and most have to do with templates. I'll agree that it *is* pretty outdated though, so I wouldn't get it unless you're not going to use it for much and you can find it pretty cheaply.

A quick note - VC 7 exes still require the .NET runtime libraries to be installed. That probably isn't a issue for you (your not trying to distribute your programs), so go for VC7.

You should also check out Bloodshed - its a free C++ IDE that uses the GCC compiler.

Quote:
Original post by Onemind
A quick note - VC 7 exes still require the .NET runtime libraries to be installed. That probably isn't a issue for you (your not trying to distribute your programs), so go for VC7.

errm... if you compile a native, non-.Net application all you have to do is distro at most 2 DLLs, you certainly dont need the whole .Net run time.

Managed C++ on the other hand does, but then, if ya gonna do .Net stuff you might as well learn C# anyways [smile]

my 2p for what its worth;
If you really want it now, get one of the VS.Net versions, if you can hang on a bit then opt for VC++ Express, which should be alot cheaper and give you a better enviroment to play with. Last i heard it should be out around Xmas, if anyone has an update however that would be good [smile]

You can download the beta express version of visual c++ 2005 (version 8) for FREE from microsoft here.

Please note that the final version may cost money. Something less than $99 is my guess.

well both versions of 7 are much better than 6, and the free dl is basically 8, so it should be better than anything yet. I'm not sure how it is right now since it's still the first beta release...I tried to dl it about a month ago but it wasn't installing correctly so I gave up. I don't know that there's much point in getting it now unless you just want to see what features/improvements it has...I'm just going to wait for the commercial release and then probably buy it.

Do you really think it will be under $100? When VC6 was still the newest, even the standard edition retailed for $100...I would expect version 8 to be about the same, if not more expensive. But if it ends up being cheaper, I won't complain :)

Quote:

This is the most common misconception about VC++ .NET.
It still produces native code (and in fact it's the default) that just needs the normal C++ runtime libraries, just like VC++ 6.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!