Nokia in canada

Started by
8 comments, last by _walrus 19 years, 6 months ago
Hey i'm shoping aournd for a phone, but i dont see any of the nokia models that support MIDP 2.0 avaible. I want to pick up one that supports mipd 2.0 so i can test some my J2ME app but There are no phones avaible. I checked the US site and they have them, but not in canada yet. Is nokia planning on launching them in canada anytime soon? or should i not bother waiting for their products and revert my app to MIDP 1.0. Its mostly game canvas and stuff. Oh ya there seems to be no series 60 phones in canada either :(:(
Advertisement
My group operates out of Toronto, and we've managed to acquire a few series 60s for testing. Have you tried EBay?

RE MIDP 2.0, as far as I know the only series 60 that supports it is the 6600.

thanks for the reply. I havnet looked on ebay, its too bad there not avaible in canada yet..it sucks. U'd figure with christmas coming up that some of these devices would be hitting the shelves :P especially since these products where anounced last year.

Quote:RE MIDP 2.0, as far as I know the only series 60 that supports it is the 6600.

oh from the nokia developer forum it lists a bunch of devices that support midp 2.0. I just set the filter to MIDP 2.0 devices: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,015-Java-2-1,00.html and it lists off a bunch of series 40 & 60 that all support midp 2.0
Thanks for the info. It may be that the 6600 is simply the only one you're likely to be able to get around here. I can't keep all these blasted model numbers straight anyway.

... Hmm, that's strange. Apparently there's some variation in series 40 screen size now? (some 128x160's in addition to the normal 128x128 square)
There's the 6230 that not only supports MIDP 2.0, but also CLDC 1.1 (so you can have your floating point numbers). It's a very cool phone.

Basically, if the network in Canada is a GSM network and not a CDMA network, you can buy or order a phone from overseas and just put in a Canadian SIM card. Just make sure the phone you're buying isn't locked to SIMs of a particular network (aka SIMfree), although there are ways around that too.

shmoove
CLDC 1.1 would definately be cool!!! :P but does anybody know when nokia intends to launch these products in canada? Is it even worth developing for MIDP 2.0 rite now?
Developing only for MIDP 2.0 devices isn't commercially viable just yet. Most of the devices out in the real world are still MIDP 1.0. But there are MIDP 1.0 emulation layers for the MIDP 2.0 functionality (check out projects like Synclast and J2ME Polish, or roll out your own, it's not that hard), that you can use to circumvent that.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Basically, if the network in Canada is a GSM network and not a CDMA network, you can buy or order a phone from overseas and just put in a Canadian SIM card. Just make sure the phone you're buying isn't locked to SIMs of a particular network (aka SIMfree), although there are ways around that too.

That is obscenely expensive. I was considering going that route and importing a Nokia from the UK, but the sheer costs of even the SIM card (which the various providers tell me they don't officially sell; I had to root around with asking for people's managers; Rogers is the absolute worst, considering they even sell them on the shelves but were out when I showed up) turned me off it.
If you have an old phone you can take the SIM from there. But yeah, the devices themselves are kind of pricey when you don't get them subsidized from your operator.

shmoove
hmmm i'm just looking at the series 60 phones available in canada now.....it looks like there's only two of them :( The N-Gage and the Nokia 3600. The 3600 looks ok in the pictures but when i went to the store to buy it. the thing is massively ugly :P I couldn't by it for that fact alone. The N-Gage specs actually make it look like an amasing deal for a smart phone: 250 canadian for 16 meg heap size & 4 meg jar size

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement