• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
crystallus_sancire

Starting a game project----

This topic is 5505 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I say go for it.

I've met too many programmers saying "Damn, I have such a great idea/engine but I can't make graphics and music and have no one to help me with it" (including me).

One of them is bound to jump the opportunity..

Advertisement
Just make a few simple console apps first and then jump right into the world of 2d and 3d.........coudn't hurt......all experiences are worth something.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I say go for it.

I've met too many programmers saying "Damn, I have such a great idea/engine but I can't make graphics and music and have no one to help me with it" (including me).

One of them is bound to jump the opportunity..

yeah i totally agree with you there i think that programming and graphics design and very closly related and it would hurt to learn what kind of images and meshes drawings ect. that work well for each one but as far as doing a full our programming approach i thinks people should specalize in certine areas thats why most well build games are made by teams so i think i would seggest learning the science of it just so that you can more fine tune your data types and image sizes to fit the project your working on

I couldn't agree (with SKATIN_HARD) more. I've been trying to learn to code since i was 7. I usually give up when it gets too hard and school inevitably gets in the way... but every time I pick it up again I learn something new. I've tried learning c++ three times now, and it's finally starting to make sense, although i think i might need one more try, somewhere down the track. There is a saying in my science lab "You can learn, and you can succeed, but never at the same time at the same thing." I think there is a grain of truth in that. Best of luck whatever you do.

Programming is not a skill, it's an aptitude. Some peoplple have it, some don't. If crystallus says he's not apt to learn programming, I think we should respect that.

Prototyping a trading card game graphically can easily be done in Flash. Way back when, I would have suggested HyperCard, but, like anything actually GOOD they do, Apple let that go to waste -- haven't really found a good replacement.

How about writing up the rules, a list of the cards in the starter deck, and drawing up the images for each of the cards? Then post all the rules, all the names of the cards, and about 10 of the images on your web site, and refer to that in your post asking for someone to help you come up with a first implementation.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are lots of game creation programs, that require minimal amounts of programming knowledge, and typically the language they use is very easy. Might not be as cool as cpp but they are very easy.
Google these: Blitz 3D, Gamemaker (recommended), Dark Basic

-robbeh

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Programming is not a skill, it's an aptitude. Some peoplple have it, some don't. If crystallus says he's not apt to learn programming, I think we should respect that.

True,programmers are born programmers.Others how much ever they learn, even if they pass with the highest award, will not enjoy doing it, and if you dont enjoy doing something, when it comes to real life (with no exams behind your back to give you incentiv) you will be unable to be productive and creative.Creativity is improrant in life, since we humans get bored and disatisfied but constant routine.That is why we have so may festivals and holidays (which are the fabric of our social lives).

We have to respect it.

Quote:
Original post by crystallus_sancire
should I just accept the fact that programming will always be out of my reach (mentally) and that if I can't program, I can't head up a game?

Never.Try it(game programming), you might like it.The first thing is that you are afraid of failing, dont worry it's natural, and failures are just stepping stones for you to step on to cross the stream.

Read this. Might encourage you .., there are some links there too.

As far as C++ goes, you should know the basic fundamentals well, like classes, structures, funtions, pointers and understand Object Oriented Programming (OOP).Then you should know how to use the C++ standard library's commonly needed funtions and know a few things like file handling.Also concepts like linked lists,stacks etc you must be comfortable with.They are easy and loads of tuts on the net if you need it.

Once you know the basic fundamentals, how to use a bit of the library, and some procedures/concepts you will be able to understand and progress very fast.

All this is not very neccessary, but the more you know C++, the smarter you will be able to think, than harder.Also you might be able to reduce the amount of work you do.

As you progress you will be able to pick up more knowledge and learn to use APIs and other stuff which is standard in you area of intrest.

So Get going ...

And remmeber Google, the best search engine.If you want to start out with game programing begin very small.I belive the hardest part of graphics programming is getting hold of a way to put stuff to the screen and if you manage that half the work is already done.

Mode13h is a very old dos mode,which is the best supported mode ever, it works on almost all the computers in the world.With this you can draw directly to the screen,(which is represented like a linear char array) and you get 256 colors (0-255).There are tons of tuts on the net which teach you the very basics of graphics programming and most use mode13h to demonstrate.It's very simple and easy to use.[smile]

[Edited by - FireNet on September 26, 2004 2:15:07 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!