Crash on EndScene

Started by
10 comments, last by kamrann 23 years, 6 months ago
Im learing D3D IM, and my program completely crashes on a call to EndScene. All im doing is rendering the same polygon to a backbuffer (using DrawPrim) and flipping, and repeating this process 100 times over without changing any settings or data each frame. Im using a VB and each frame I refill it with the same polygon data. The crash always happens on EndScene, but not actually in the same frame every time. Sometimes it might crash on EndScene in the tenth frame, other times in the fifteenth, etc. What could be causing this problem? thanks
Advertisement
HELP please!!
Totally stuck with this.
Can anyone at least tell me what exactly EndScene does, and what D3D / DD objects it affects, so I can check for those parts of my code.

Cheers

Cameron
It''s really just a signal to the driver, and what happens within it is really driver specific.

What card are you running this on? Is it software TnL or hardware TnL? Have you run it under the debugger with the debug runtime and checked out the D3D spew?

Check out for Memory leak dude !!

Oe debug or code !! That''s the only way to do something in programming... !!

I will tell you a secret...

Programming is : 35% preparation (design), 5% coding, 60% debugging !!

Good Luck !!

Lowrad

Ps.. paste offending code if you what more help !
ok, thanks

ive realized it doesnt crash if I use the RGB Emulation GUID
( i think its a GUID isnt it? ), but does if i use the HAL version. but i dont get why. the HAL driver is being enumerated, so i should be able to use it, right? are there any other things to check for other than the rendering bit depth cap matching? The enumeration of the HAL device says it needs vertices in increasing depth - what is this about and could it be a problem? - i''m using transformed and lit vertices anyway.

The card on my PC is quite old and basic - 4MB - and cannot do Hardware TnL, but if the Direct3D HAL driver gets enumerated, surely I should be able to use the normal HAL device, yes?

Also, I had no problem before I changed from DX5 to DX7 - could it be possible that my old card wont work properly with DX7?

thanks for any suggestions,

Cameron
Obvious question, but, are you making a call to BeginScene() before it?
Which graphics card and what does the debug spew say?
hi

yes, i''m definitely making the right BeginScene / EndScene calls, and in the right order - anyway, if it was that i''d just get an error return, not a system crash like I do.

I cant remember exactly what card it is - i''ll check - I think S3 Virge, 4MB something or other. Im not currently using the debug SDK - i''ll install that and see what it tells me.

One other thing I just remembered. In DX diagnostics, it says that the driver for my card, although working, is not certified by microsoft or something - could this be a problem?

thanks a lot

Cameron
Uncertified just means it wasn''t submitted to and passed the Windows Hardware Quality Lab tests (WHQL.)

It''s nice to have a certified driver, but usually the latest or older (like an S3 Virge) drivers aren''t. My GeForce drivers, which are the latest from Nvidia, are uncertified.
Ive re-installed DX SDK with the debug version. What is the debug spew though? I havent noticed any difference yet. How do I get more debug data?
Also, the crash using HALDevice seems to happen less in debug mode but still happens - if the system crashes, wont this stop me from getting any debug info anyway?

Cheers

Cameron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement