Orientation plz

Started by
9 comments, last by demonkoryu 19 years, 6 months ago
i know little bit about C/C++ and i want to make a game. the question is what do i need since i read alot, and now im confused - so what do i need for graphics?(programs and knowledge) i have macromedia studio,photoshop and paintshop pro. - what language do you recomend? - what program is used for putting everything together? (graphics,code) as you can see i am a total noob, but i can use 4 hours a day to learn all the stuff. im asking here because in google it gives me to much information and i dont know what i really need. the type of game i want to make is like tibia, but better graphics. if this takes me years its okay. if i start now its better than waiting and not doing nothing. bye
Advertisement
The programs you have for graphics are plenty. Start with a nice simple 2D game. Heck, even do something like tic-tac-toe; there's a lot more to it than it looks like at first. Once you've done a couple of simple games, then you can start working your way up. The single most valuable thing you can have when programming is experience.

Even when you get to the point where you're working on that dream game that takes years, sometimes you need to stop and whip up something simple. It makes you feel a whole lot better to actually *finish* something for a change. Plus, you'll have something cool to show off, which is also nice :)

As far as languages - you know C/C++, and they'll work well, so use one of them. :)
thank you.

for the 2d games do i need a rpg program???
bye
Quote:Original post by unive
thank you.

for the 2d games do i need a rpg program???
bye

wtf is a rpg-program?
- so what do i need for graphics?(programs and knowledge)
i have macromedia studio,photoshop and paintshop pro.

any graphics program is ok as long as it is not mspaint (even that is enough if you have someone else to do the final art. while you are coding you can use blue or red blocks to represent the final textures.) dont bother with graphics.
- what language do you recomend?

you said you know a bit c/c++. perfect, learn more.
- what program is used for putting everything together? (graphics,code)

get yourself a ide/compiler.. i have visual studio.net 2k3 which i got for free from my university. there are also some free compilers out there but i dont know much about them. but it seems that you have the resources if you can afford photoshop, paintshop pro and macromedia studio... :/
as you can see i am a total noob, but i can use 4 hours a day to learn all the stuff. im asking here because in google it gives me to much information and i dont know what i really need.

the type of game i want to make is like tibia, but better graphics.

if this takes me years its okay. if i start now its better than waiting and not doing nothing.
bye

start small and take your time. read about everything and try it. dont just copy and paste code. try to understand what it does by changing it. i dont know a game called tibia... *google* OMG... forget it... take your head and bash it against the next wall until the idea is gone... no MMORPGs in the first 100 years of programming. start with something small. really SMALL! tetris, breakout, pacman... then move on to something bigger... and bigger... and bigger...
Your Skill                          Skill needed to code a MMORPG||--------------------------------------------------------------|0%                                                           100%this bar normally has a lenght of 238497349287km but is reduced to this size... 

sorry to disappoint you but you'll probably never code a mmorpg. no one can do this alone and i doubt you could save enough money to realize such a project even if you'd save all your money the next (approx.) 3324872368463284623469283749823794234428763 years.

[Edited by - BiGF00T on September 24, 2004 12:17:17 AM]
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
All you need is a compiler and some decent tutorials (try this site, and, of course, Google). For simple programs the art is just saved as ordinary image files then loaded by the program as it runs. For something like tic-tac-toe or tetris you don't even need proper art; you can just draw lines, boxes, circles, etc.

okay thank you uavfun

BiGF00T
i mean RPG, i read people use it to make games its all i know.
theres a for beginners section here on gamedev.net
you'll find the answers there. try to start slow, begin with
something easy and you wont be disappointed. if you try to make a fps or rpg as your first game you'll fail and never finish it. work yourself up the ladder and every project will be better than the last one. if you imagine game development as a building then you wouldnt try to jump on the roof from the ground. you would take the stairs... sometimes two at once but you'd go from the beginning to the end. if you try to jump on the roof from the ground you'll only hit the wall no matter how hard you try.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
thank you
i will start small like you said and i think tetris is the first step.

okay time to go to sleep and thanks again
Hahaha... when I first read "Tibia" i thought it is possibly some sort of puzzle game... *g*
Perhaps you should aim a little lower at the beginning. You are not yet ready for a MMORPG. Why not try and make s.th. like HalfLife 2, just with better graphics?
Sorry

Konfu/Thermo
Yea I'm just staring with tetris.

Maybe in few years i gona be ready for the game i want to make not alone, will be doing it with a team.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement