• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
joeyg2477

[web] Please don't hate me for this Question!!!

This topic is 5471 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have written html code and some javascript but never worked on a website. My church that I attend has asked if I could make a couple of change on their website that is within my realm but i'm having some problems. First the person who set up this site originally, set it up where you have to use the host software to build the site. Well their software uses only one template for every page(every page is formated the same). I'm trying to ftp the host so I can hardcode the pages themselves, but it won't let me. I mean I would have to ftp the host with the site account(user name and password) in order to find the pages right. Can anybody poing me in the right direction. I know this is a newbie question, but hey i'm a newbie in web design. Any help will be appreciated. thanx

Advertisement
I'm confused about what you're asking?

Do you need help in setting up some FTP software and logging into a remote server? SmartFTP is some good client software that makes using FTP almost as easy as using Windows file explorer. From here, locate the pages you want to change, download them to your local disk, make the changes you want and upload them back to the server.

shouldn't i be able to just type ftp://(whatever) in dos? what i'm asking is if i wanted to access the pages do i need to ftp the website it self or the host's website?

There is an ftp program in DOS but I don't recommend you use it unless you're familiar with issuing individual FTP commands. I also recommend using SmartFTP, which Evolutional mentioned above.

The ftp address will probably not be the same address as the web address, but they may well be on the same server. You will need to find the ftp address from whoever hosts the site and then connect to it with your ftp software. Then you should be able to transfer files to and from the host.

Well, I like CoreFTP better than SmartFTP since it allows SSH tunneling for automatic scp (although SmartFTP might have that too, I don't recall). Just my 2 cents :)

It sounds like your churches website uses something like Coldfusion, in which case you will not be able to FTP in and change the pages directly.

I had a similar situation over the summer, working on a website for a summer camp. The summer camp was hosted at a prep school (nicer than most colleges I've been to), and the website was built with Coldfusion. You have one administrator that controls the layout of the entire site, and then you have user accounts that can only add new content.

It's a pain in the ass if you want to make a completely seperate page and know what you are doing, but it's absolutely amazing for people that don't know anything about webdesign.

Anyway, back on track, you won't be able to FTP in and change things, you are explicitly forbidden to do as such. This is a feature, not a bug.

That is, if it is what I think it is.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!