My 3D Terrain makes waves

Started by
4 comments, last by Frozen 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm working on a 3D Terrain(in DirectX, of course), but when I move the camera, the terrain makes some waves. But not on all PCs. Please download it, and give me any good ideea how to fix that. I use GeoMipMapping, but still didn't fix the cracks. I don't think this is the problem. http://www.geocities.com/alin9d/terrain.zip
Advertisement
It seems like your problem is that geomipmapping changes your texture coordinates but is still assigned to the new vertex as the same tex rather than average it... Hmm... I'm not sure how it works exactly but that's what I'm thinking is the problem. Sorry I can't help much.
Why do you appear to be rendering each patch multiple times when doing geomorphing? You appear to be getting some crazy surfaces because of that. Equally, you geomipmapping appears to be broken, have you checked your morph offsets are calculated correctly?
OrangyTang:
1) I still didn't finish it, so those cracks are between two patches with different level of details. I'm working on that now.
2) What do you mean by "you appear to be rendering each patch multiple times when doing geomorphing"?
I'm still a begginer, so sorry for asking these lame questions.
It could be a problem of z-buffer precission. Try to increase the bit width of z-buffer.I suppose you are using 16 bit, if not, forgot the next lines :D

Use for example this format in your d3dpresent_parameters setup :

d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D24S8

I hope it works.

Thx a lot lordarkam. It works now. OrangyTang, I still want you to explain me those things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement