direct3d for DOS in this program

Started by
1 comment, last by xegoth 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, im writing a rubiks cube program in opengl actually. I came across this freeware. http://www.atmansoftware.com/webfiles/coda.htm it seems to use per-pixel lighting. this in a dos game. Im wondering if this was written using d3d or ogl under DOS. if not how are they doing it? any pointers would be helpful. thank you --harmeht
Advertisement
no direct3d for DOS, sorry. while in DOS you DO have direct access to the screen, you would have to manually program the video hardware. while this is possiblem the program from it's looks uses a software renderer (like D3D HEL layer). this would work fast enough for what is basically a 320x240x256 spinning cube w/ specular lighting if done reasonably in C/C++.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
The whole reason DirectX was created was to give graphics applications direct access to the hardware without windows getting in the way and slowing things down. That's why before DirectX all games ran in dos.

So definitely no DX for dos. If you're writing a windows program though, you can look up DirectX per pixel lighting or OGL with [google].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement