Reccomendation req: C++ documentation generation

Started by
6 comments, last by Triglav 19 years, 7 months ago
Now that I'm starting to get a little more involved in C++ and releasing some code, I thought it would be really helpful to create documentation as well. When I code in VB, I use a tool called NDoc to create the *.chm and *.htm files. It works really well, easy to use, lots of features, etc. I did a quick Google for similar stuff for C++, but I'm not sure what's good, easy or popular. Can anyone reccomend a good C++ doc writer? Oh, one more thing - FREE would be good. Really really good. :) Thanks
-Todd"Windows dectected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot for the changes to take effect"
Advertisement
I like Doxygen. You can create html, chm, LaTeX, xml, Rtf, PostScript, Man Pages, etc from it. It can be integrated into Visual Studio.

edit:

A link from the Doxygen site to a load of other documenting software.

Natural Docs gets lots of good things said about it and does definitely produce nice looking html. Personally I prefer Doxygen's javadoc style usage. It's worth checking out though.
Hello,

You may try to use doxygen. It can generate a rather complete documentation from your C++ comments.

(edit) :/ - petewood is faster again :)

HTH,
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
(edit) :/ - petewood is faster again :)

I've nothing better to do (c:

Actually I have... should be working, not shirking.
Maybe im getting deja-vu, but there was a thread on this in the beginners forum a day or two ago

here
Quote:Original post by petewood
Natural Docs gets lots of good things said about it and does definitely produce nice looking html. Personally I prefer Doxygen's javadoc style usage. It's worth checking out though.

I love NaturalDocs as the commenting style is more suited to my commenting style. I don't really get along with DoxyGen but many others do, so it's probably a very good package. Have a play with a couple and see which you like :)
Thanks guys - Took a look at both DoxyGen and Natural Docs - I liked that DoxyGen integrated into VS, but for some reason its style didn't appeal to me. Natural Docs seemed more - well, natural. I saw the examples on the web site, and they made sense. With Doxygen, the examples were unclear to me, and even after reading some more articles on setup and and use, it still seemed unclear.

I think I'll go with Natural Docs - thanks so much for the reccomendations!
-Todd"Windows dectected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot for the changes to take effect"
I'm using Doxygen for code reference generation and Docbook for writing project documentation.
Triglav - Member of TAJGA Team

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement