HL2-engine licence for indie-developers?

Started by
2 comments, last by algorhythmic 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Ive heard some rumours that youll be able to lease the HL2-engine and pay a fee/percentage on your actual sales, as opposed to paying a hefty fee in advance (which is the case with for instance the old Unreal Engine, if I recall correctly). This will ofcourse be very beneficial to those indie-developers that dont start out with large (any?) financial resources but still have other resources in the form of skilled and dedicated manpower with time on their hands. So, is this just a false rumour, or are there any evidence supporting it? Thanks
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
Advertisement
The question could be, why not just mod it? It's free, and if it's good enough, Valve could pick it up from you.

Don't know how much work you want to put in, but I'd assume almost anything is possible with it (except a complete engine overhaul, but why would you do that? It's the HL 2 Engine!)

But I suppose if someone's looking for it, that would be cool.
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
Youve got a point - actually, I think the licensing-rumour was about selling your own mods, not licensing the whole engine for an overhaul.

Perhaps someone more initiated can clarify things for us :)

But yeah, the project (in its current embryonic stage) I have in mind will need to be a stand-alone game and not a mod, where a copy of HL2 will be needed. Perhaps theres only a pree-paying fee option for that kind of thing?
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
If it's anything like Unreal you'll probably have to sign a NDA and go and meet them which means it won't be feasibile for hobbyist game programmers.
[email=algorhythmic@transcendenz.co.uk]algorhythmic[/email] | home | xltronic | whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it - mahatma gandhi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement