Downloaded game sales volumes?

Started by
4 comments, last by Scarab 23 years, 6 months ago
I''ve searched, and dug, and I can''t seem to locate any hard figures on the sales volumes of downloadable games. I''m currently running some numbers through Excel and it keeps telling me I need to sell an obscene number of units if I want to be able to quit my day job (at least, at a 12.95 price point). If I could see how other electronically distributed titles fared I could make a better call on whether there''s any point in trying to make even a fraction of development costs back, but either it''s hidden or I''m blind (both equally possible). Does anyone have any experience, pointers, etc. on this topic? TIA!
Advertisement
You might try going to download sites such as www.download.com and look at the number of downloads that a particular piece of software got. I know that this probably will not be very accurate, but it might give you an idea of how many downloads that you could expect.

Ephimus

Edited by - Ephimus on October 3, 2000 3:45:53 PM
You should check out this thread, where Crystal Interactive''s CEO mentions some actual numbers for published budget games. I''m assuming when you say "downloadable" games that you kinda mean budget games.
Yeah, the unglamourous but sometimes lucrative budget games kinda thing indeed!

Thanks for the link, those numbers are somewhat in line with information I've been given by my spies... erm, FRIENDS.. in the budget-title business here and there. The crowd was kind of hard on the poor fellow, though! About 1/2 way through it I was thinking "a learner figures it out from an example, a loser never gets it"...

Edited by - Scarab on October 4, 2000 7:41:29 PM
I make about $100 a week. Like you said, not enough to quit my day job!
That''s not a lot... BUT... it would pay my DSL bill and still have some left over for CPU and equipment upgrades! Anything that helps with the development-related bills would work for me... ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement