Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John1

I'm real new, please help

John1    122
Hi, I''ve never really gotten into programming. I''m not a computer illiterate, so you can explain things in detail. I really want to just be able to write my own applets and programs. I think a DOS based language would humor me quite a bit for a while. Thanks, guys. All help is appreciated.

acw83    174
Hey it''s good you want to learn to program. There is a section of GD.net that is for people just like you. Go to the main page and click "New? Start Here" on the gray menu bar that goes across the top of the page. Good luck.

Scooter    109
I''d run a search for QBASIC, you can prob. get it free and it''s most likely the simplest to learn I started it when i was 14 so that just goes to show ya. Good Luck.

maketty    122
Well I''m 14 also and I started with C++ And I haven''t had any problems yet so I would reccomend it although some say it is complicated I LOVE IT!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games

Falden    122
if you go to my site i have some free c/c++ compilers and qbasic v1.1 if you can''t find it. i also have some links to sites i found useful (including gamedev.net, of course!) hope it helps!

Falden

Baling    122
Maketty,

QBasic should be great for you, since you''re a beginner. Don''t know how to delete double post? Hmmm ...... you should check out, as acw83 said, "New? Start Here".

Peon    276
I stated with GW-BASIC at about 11 or 12, moved to Q-BASIC a little later, and now @ 15, I''m learning C++ with all the good WinAPI / DirectX stuff mixed in I''d recommend QBASIC for real beginners, you can find QB 4.5 on the net for free if you look a little (note that it''s not legal, but you can''t exactly buy it anymore, so...) Or you can start with C++, but it may be a little harder. One good thing about QB is you will be making real games more quickly (I made a tile RPG with the help of a little sourcecode, but in C++ I can''t even get a pic up on the screen ) It''s up to you

maketty    122
Hey Hey Hey! Having knowledge about operations on this message board and being a begginer to programming are completely different things! I was really proud of all my accomplishments in the learning of C++ things on my own without a class or book etc.! That was mean! I''m gonna go meditate before some knee caps get broken!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games

DarkMage139    294
You can learn C in a week. And IMHO, it''s a lot better and more powerful than QBASIC.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
"Shut up and give me the freakin code" -unknown
"Ask and you will be shot" -snes16bit
"Not again!" -SHilbert (upon being assimilated)
"Nazrix is cool." - Nazrix
"You've only seen the beginning" -The Dark Lord of RPGs
"I'm gonna go get high on Squaresoft games" - ILoveNataliePortman