Independent developers

Started by
14 comments, last by powertech_games 19 years, 6 months ago
Ok, as an independent developer you develop a game entirely on your own. Though, what happens when you get finished with it? Do you hand it off to a small games publisher to see it get packed in yet another 1000 small games collection? Do you try to market it yourself only to recieve little money let alone hits to your main site? Do you have to offer it for free just to get anyone to even play it? I guess there is the choice of joining a team. A person might hope to work with some others in hopes of creating something that can draw some sort of interest. Yet, what is the fate of the vast majority of these groups? I'm going to take the position that most of the games we create by ourselves are not exactly the most attractive things out there. Yet, is this a reason to hand them off to someone else, give them away for free, or just leave them rotting on our hard drives? Why can't we use our hobby as a means of supporting ourselves in any type of manner. Well, for anyone who is interested, I propose that we work together. I'm not talking about working on a single game together. I'm talking about putting together the games we make independently and help eachother sell them. If anyone is interested, then just send me an email. I have a great deal of program libraries available to anyone who would like to work together in such a way. Jacob Ultamos@msn.com
Advertisement
I'm just going to have mine available free for download.

It's a matter of personal preference; I'm not doing it for the money. I care more about people getting involved in my game.

Of course, by the time my game is done it won't just be 'my' game anymore; there will be a team.

[Edited by - nagromo on September 24, 2004 11:16:31 PM]
Quote:Original post by nagromo
I'm just going to have mine available free for download.

It's a matter of personal preference; I'm not doing it for the money. I care more about people getting involved in my game.

Of course, by the time my game is done it won't just be 'my' game anymore.

Thank you for the heartfelt expression. I only hope such emotion endures for years to come.
Zefrieg: for once I agree ... I am looking forward to earn money throygh my work ... not some mere amount through that stuff ... you have to make a great game to earn a great profit out of it.

Sometimes ... you are forced to do it for free. You wont find a job ... you wont be able to sell your product ... sometimes if you are using some one elses data and you must liscence them ... they force you either to pay ... or to not to sell that product ... even if it is great :(
I have been contemplating setting up an indie games publisher for some time now. I still need to do more research though and attempt the marketing of one indie game to see how i go. Ive already sold a mobile game, but the indie pc market looks completely different.

Zefrieg and the lion king, i will keep your emails close by and let you know how things workout. Should everything go well i would be interested in helping out.

Yes i know i would be competeing with garage games and the like, but im going to try some different marketing methods.

Regards,
Scott
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
sounds very interesting, our team is also planning to sell the game we are working on. Although we think the issue of finding a publisher is gonna be a major obstacle for us to overcome, we are still not close enough to start thinking about a publisher.

This is sort of what garage games do, but they seemed to be alittle biased to the torque engine :S

more details on this would help,but i guess your still working the idea up
Serious Game Project: Midnight ManhattanTeam Website | Game Website | Screenshots Gallery | Game OverviewPositions Needed: Animators/Rigger | Texture/enviroment Artist | Character Modeller Recruitment Topic(more info) | Apply form | Email Contact: info.at.blueprintgames.com
If you do some research, www.garagegames.com actually has 5-8 games that are made with other engines than Torque. I think if you even click on some of the games they will tell you that.

As far as I know, they even helped to fund some of the games when they were about to be released trough them, and some of them were completely homemade engines.

Go figure.
As to the details of my plan, i do not wish to put them forth until they have credibility. When ive tried and tested my ideas and marketing strategies i will be sure to let the gamedev.net community know.

If you wish to contact me for more information feel free to do so:
kooktroop AT [remove me] gmail DOT com
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Well, I have been thinking about this a bit more. For such a collection of developers to work well, it would most likely need a direction. It would be best to focus on a certain type of genre. That way, we could focus both our marketing and development towards the same customer base.

Common genres for such a group would most likely include puzzle and strategy games. Though, I think it would be best to focus on a relatively under-represented game type. That type, in my observations, would have to be classic RPG games.

Yes, it is true that many people around here try and often fail in making some sort of RPG. Though, most often, they are usually trying to do something way out of their league. I put great emphasis on classic when talking about a classic RPG. There are many classical RPG game types for any skill level of developer to tackle. In fact, many classical RPG games are open to a great deal of intermediate skilled programmers.

Classic RPGs would make great games for cross platform selling and marketing. I am sure they would be very popular on cell phones. Unfortunately, this is definately one of the game types that is most difficult to sell and distribute alone. That is why it would be a perfect fit for the type of group that I am proposing.

If there are any developers who are doing classic RPGs, or who would like to do classic RPGs, then lets work in parrallel.
Oh, and by the way, I am not putting a great deal of focus on either fantasy or sci-fi types of settings. It would be really beneficial to explore other types of settings. How interesting would it be to supply RPGs based on settings like a school, soap opera, or living on the streets?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement