• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
librorum

Looking for sprites of Warcraft II..

This topic is 5408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a sprites of Warcraft II for my version of basic RTS game. I tried to find at Google, but failed. Anyone can help in finding the sprites of characters and maps in Warcraft 2? Thanks in advance..

Advertisement
[google]: warcraft 2 screenshots:
http://www.google.com/search?q=warcraft+2+screenshots

the reason you can't find them anywhere is because it is a copyright violation to post them on the internet. anyone posting them could be sued by blizzard. by the same token, making a RTS using the warcraft 2 assets could get you sued (yes even if you release the game for free or otherwise make no money off of it). i'd suggest not pursuing this. but if you insist, you'll have to make the sprites yourself.

-me

But I'm sure if you're gonna only use it for educational purposes, they won't mind. A simple way of getting the screenshots is to load up WC2, take screenshots, and use a graphic editing software to manually take out each sprite. Well, I guess you can't call that the simple way of doing it. Very tedious work, but if it works, it works.

Just make sure you give credit to the artists somewhere in your game.

Actually, no matter how you use them, innocently or otherwise, if they find out about it they'll very likely not appreciate it. It is 100% against the law (at least in the US).

why the hell would you be searching for copyrighted images for a game you are writting ... I mean I totally completely understand why you would be using copywrited images that you have locally as place holders until you can find usable images - that just makes sense, but to expend effort to go out and get images that you cannot use? just goolge for public domain, or free, or royalty free, images ... or just make images of the right size in paint, with letters or boxes in them, and replace each one with a real image as you find / create a suitable replacement.

I promise, as soon as your game engine is a half working prototype, you will be able to ask many people to contribute simple imagery to use.

Wow~ Thanks for your advice even though it does not become much help to me.
One of the main reason I want to get the sprite of Warcraft 2 is
to find out the how they are organized.
I tried to find the dimension of the characters by screen capture. But it was not easy for me.
If I can find out that information, I do not need the Sprite itself!

The tiles were 32x32, the sprites themselves varied in size. A paladin was bigger than an archer who was bigger than a peasant.

Every unit only took up one tile, regardless of visible size.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!