• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thegame

Ragdoll Physics

This topic is 5410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I am trying to understand the use and implementation of ragdolls in video games - and all I get till now is that they _liven_ death sequences. I've searched google but have failed to come up with a nice introduction to ragdoll physics. Could someone guide me to a couple of ragdoll resources ?

Advertisement
http://www.ioi.dk/Homepages/thomasj/publications/gdc2001.htm

This is an explanation of the method they use in Hitman. I've never written something using it, but it looks pretty good.

The simplest (but still complex!) approach is to use a pre-built physics system such as ODE, Tokamak, or Havok. The first two sites in particular have some information on this if you dig enough.

Creating your own dynamics engine is an extremely complex task.

Quote:

you are right, it is extremly complex and I won't even attempt to do something like that. I am planning on using ODE in my current project. I felt _understanding_ ragdolls would've helped me implement them nicely.

Thanks for the link !!

Quote:
Original post by uavfun

Not necessarily. The core part of my implementation here:
http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/jiggle
is really very simple - especially if you strip out the complex stuff for object deactivation. Also the problem of writing a collision detection package is different (maybe harder) than writing a basic dynamics engine.

Writing it so that it is blindingly fast is more complex - but if you are happy for it to run at, say 50% of the speed of a commercial package, then you _can_ do it yourself.

Btw - the hitman approach looks easy, but my experience is that getting it to work fully is really hard, because of the hacky way you have to approach friction etc, much harder than using true rigid bodies.

Motorherp, I have already attempted to read that _book_ (many chapters) but it really is for advanced physics engine developers - and maybe taking the _understanding_ thing a bit too far ;-).

The hitman physics article is impressive.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!