• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hawk2k3

Questions about creating a game.

This topic is 5399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering does a person need to actually know programming to actually have others even take a look at an idea? I've talked to a few people and they've told me that most won't even consider it unless the 'leader' is doing some of the programming too. I've also been told that another reason that it might be hard is because most programmers and graphic artists are just looking for a way to make money off it. I actually want to try and create a game company, but it has been pointed out to me the previous point(about money). While at this stage(if the project gets past this stage) I'm unsure how the game will be released, either paid(I.E $10-20) or free. I'm sure that if it was ever completed and I decided to go the pay of it route that the programmers would demand the money even though I'd actually use %100 of the funds to get the company's next project and future going and hopefully that it'll help with a steady source of funds. I've heard that creating a MMO(RPG) is a 'bad' type of game to start with, but what about a 3d FPS? Is an FPS also a 'bad' idea to start with too? Thank you in advance for any help members may give.

Advertisement
Quote:
I was wondering does a person need to actually know programming to actually have others even take a look at an idea?

If you want your idea to get some (serious) following you should be one of the following :
- a gifted programmer
- a gifted artist
- very wealthy

People don't need yet another designer telling 'm how to make the next great game while they feel he himself is doing squad. Also it helps if you have something (a small demo, some concept art or cash) to show when you are looking for a team of people to help you create your dream.

Quote:
I'm sure that if it was ever completed and I decided to go the pay of it route that the programmers would demand the money even though I'd actually use %100 of the funds to get the company's next project and future going and hopefully that it'll help with a steady source of funds

If i'm getting this right you want a couple of programmers and artists to work on your project for months, maybe even years and then you will take all the money for yourself (or your own game company, it's the same thing) ? Come on, how would you feel if someone was going to take years of work you did, sold it and never gave you something in return for your work ? You wouldn't stand for it, would you ?!

Quote:
I've heard that creating a MMO(RPG) is a 'bad' type of game to start with, but what about a 3d FPS? Is an FPS also a 'bad' idea to start with too?

a mmorpg is the worst idea to start with, anything else would be considered better. However starting without experience i would bet you anything that you will never finish that fps. Start small, create some tetris clone or something. If that's beneath you, create a 2d platform game. You still will have A LOT of trouble finishing those games but at least you'll stand a chance. [smile]

Good luck with your future project.

i wouldnt recommend starting out with an FPS.
because your (and any starting game company)are no match for big companies with experiance and knowledge in that field.
the same goes for FPS,MMORPG's and RTS games.
i would reccomend making a theme game.
somthing simple thats not high - tech' but a game thats fun to play.

Original post by MonkeyInBlack
I was wondering does a person need to actually know programming to actually have others even take a look at an idea?
Quote:
If you want your idea to get some (serious) following you should be one of the following :
- a gifted programmer
- a gifted artist
- very wealthy

People don't need yet another designer telling 'm how to make the next great game while they feel he himself is doing squad.

Well I'm sure having to get word out and try to get people besides programmers to look at it, even if Programmers and Artists bother looking at concept art to begin with.

Quote:
If i'm getting this right you want a couple of programmers and artists to work on your project for months, maybe even years and then you will take all the money for yourself (or your own game company, it's the same thing) ? Come on, how would you feel if someone was going to take years of work you did, sold it and never gave you something in return for your work ? You wouldn't stand for it, would you ?!

Heh, You know I wish I could say that I'd would make money and they wouldn't but that would defeat the goal of starting a company(because what use is it going to be if have to search for a brand new team everytime) Am I saying they'll never get anything for their work, no. In fact I hope that maybe if I can go that route that if they were to stick around longer then the one project that they'll see it and more while possibly creating a 2nd game(yeah, but if only 100 people even pay the game and have a team of 10... that'll give $1000 dollars total and would only each of us $100. That's not much to start with

Quote:
a mmorpg is the worst idea to start with, anything else would be considered better. However starting without experience i would bet you anything that you will never finish that fps. Start small, create some tetris clone or something. If that's beneath you, create a 2d platform game. You still will have A LOT of trouble finishing those games but at least you'll stand a chance. [smile]

Maybe if I was aiming for Doom3 and Half Life 2 graphics yeah odds are it probably wouldn't get finished. I'd be surprised if the engine would be equal to Quake 3. Someone suggested using the Quake 3 engine when it become open source, but correct me if I'm wrong, If it were to get used would we not have to have a license to use it for profit? This is why I've told the person who suggested it that it would be better to build our own then risk trouble ID for used of the engine.

Quote:
Original post by thedevil
i wouldnt recommend starting out with an FPS.
because your (and any starting game company)are no match for big companies with experiance and knowledge in that field.
the same goes for FPS,MMORPG's and RTS games.
i would reccomend making a theme game.
somthing simple thats not high - tech' but a game thats fun to play.

a theme game? you mean like a Tycoon type of game? The number #1 goal for me is to have the game fun and replayable and #2 bug-free as possible when released to public(actually I think it could be #1 or #2, but those would be the most important things before release).

Quote:
Original post by hawk2k3
Someone suggested using the Quake 3 engine when it become open source, but correct me if I'm wrong, If it were to get used would we not have to have a license to use it for profit? This is why I've told the person who suggested it that it would be better to build our own then risk trouble ID for used of the engine.

When the Quake3 engine source comes out, it will be under GPL licence. Which means you can use it for commercial purposes, as long as you also release the engine(and any changes you will make to the source) under GPL.
Anyway,I agree with what the others have said. If you're not a programmer, artist or millionaire, you don't really have much to offer, so there is no reason to be part of the team, let alone lead it.

"Next up on the list? Your community. A good community guarantees a player base when your game's released, not to mention its a good pool from which to pick beta testers from.

So how do you get a community? Public Relations. For example, not just posting updates on your site, but sending out news to any game news sites you can find. What to post? Above all,
screenshots and renders. There is nothing more dismaying than looking at a development update that is purely text. It shows the quality of your game, gives a clearer idea of how it will play, and shows that the game is going strong. Second of all, information on the game. What it will play like, what the theme is, how far into development you are, and if you need to recruit, this is also a good place to do it.

So, team, roadmap, public relations, and community. Got all that covered? Your good to go. It seems like a lot of work for a game, but a few of new games may die on a regular basis, because they were started by people who thought it would be a walk in the park."

When I found this it was orginally talking about how to lead a mod, but I editted it to see how well it would sound by replace and modifying a couple paragraphs. http://www.modnmod.com/articles.php?id=445 is the orginal article and from the looks of it(when applied to both a mod and a game) that information and building a community so that the end result can be sucessful is just as important, if not more important, then actually programming the game and doing the graphics for it.

so, I guess that'd be a no. I guess it would be impossible to create a game with a group unless everyone knows how to program and/or do 3d models.

Guest Anonymous Poster
can anyone give me a link to somewhere that i can learn abt creating a sphere over an object, creating triangles from a .OBJ file, and checking for collision between the triangles and the sphere?
dont mind if u can let me see the codes here.
been researching for days.
dying..

If you don't have any programming/artistic skills and want to start a games company then why don't you go down the business/entrepreneur route?. I come from an IT background (mainly support)but have no programming skills whatsoever. I went to the local business shop for advice and took some biz related courses, culminating in an entrepreneur course at university. Having developed a robust biz plan and game specs under my arm I hunted for people with the necessary skills from a coupla universities round our area and brought them on board as directors. Meanwhile I was getting in touch with lots of people and our local enterprise to get funds for our project. As our first project was very ambitious (although not discarded) for a start-up company we began concentrating on mobile games and now we are about to release our first mobile game within the next month. The point is really, never give up until you have investigated all avenues 'cause later on in life you'll wonder 'what if'...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!