Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kb9vcr

What profilers are people using??

kb9vcr    122
I''m trying to find a good profiler to help me find my bottlenecks in some C++ code I''m writing. My options seem to be: MSVS profiler: blah, can they make it any less useful if they tried? VTune: My evaluation license will soon expire and after that, $$$ ?? I can''t imagine that my options are to use the MSVS profiler or shell out $400.(I''m in college and so the University has already called ''dibs'' all my money). What is everyone using to analyze their code?

Houdini    266
Hmmm, I''ve only ever used the profiler that comes with VC6. I personally think it works rather well as it tells you how much time each function takes in total program time, how many times function was called, and the percentage of total program time a function is taking.

Of course, I''ve never used any other profiler and I''m sure there are much better ones that go more in depth, but I don''t see how the VC6 profiler isn''t useful.

- Houdini

MadKeithV    992
1. If you wish to illegally share commercial software, at least have the decency to not do it in the open on these boards. Numega Bounds Checker is not free software as far as I know.

2. The VC++ profiler is a pretty good one, but you could have a look at Intel''s VTune, for which I think there''s a 30day free trial, available from the Intel web site.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by kb9vcr

And least he had the common courtesy to even read my message and try and help.

He''s a moderator, and he has every right to tell you guys not to offer warez on the messageboard, because GameDev can be held accountable for it.

- Houdini

Vetinari    133
quote:

because GameDev can be held accountable for it.

Are you implying they could get into legal trouble for someone offering something illegal on a public forum? I'm not a lawyer an I've only been moderately following legal precedents like this, but are you sure? Last time I checked it does not over-ride free speach. Look at deja.com where it happens on an hourly basis...

I am not condoning warez or disagreeing that the moderator went beyond his lines, I am just saying no law has been broken...yet.

I also have a similar problem as the original poster, I have not not yet gotten the profiler in VC5 to do anything...

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on October 4, 2000 6:52:23 PM

Steel    122
quote:
Original post by Vetinari
Are you implying they could get into legal trouble for someone offering something illegal on a public forum? I''m not a lawyer an I''ve only been moderately following legal precedents like this, but are you sure? Last time I checked it does not over-ride free speach. Look at deja.com where it happens on an hourly basis...

What on earth does this have to do with free speech? Why is it that whenever something subjectively unfair seems to arise, people always refer to "free speech" as the catch-all justification? Most poeple throw the phrase around so much and out of context that you can tell they''ve never read the Consition/Bill of Rights and don''t even know what "free speech" refers to or to what degree we are protected.

...and now back to our regular programming...

Coleco    164
quote:

And least he had the common courtesy to even read my message and try and help.

quote:

2. The VC++ profiler is a pretty good one, but you could have a look at Intel''s VTune, for which I think there''s a 30day free trial, available from the Intel web site.

nuff said...

-Coleco

(maybe he didnt see that you use VTune already)

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

--HASBRO SUCKS--

Vetinari    133
quote:
Original post by Steel

What on earth does this have to do with free speech? ...

Your right, it has nothing to do with free speach. I was mixing a few related thoughts, and screwed up in my post. And although the offeror of warez may not be protected by the law, I believe gamedev.net is.

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on October 4, 2000 8:25:13 PM

Houdini    266
quote:
Original post by Houdini

[quote] Original post by Steel

Your right, it has nothing to do with free speach. I was mixing a few related thoughts, and screwed up in my post. And although the offeror of warez may not be protected by the law, I believe gamedev.net is.

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on October 4, 2000 8:25:13 PM

Perhaps, but look at the whole Napster fiasco going on right now. You wouldn''t think that Napster should be held accountable because other people are offering warez MP3''s (instead of the legal ones) through their program, but they still might be...

- Houdini

kb9vcr    122

I guess I''m a little surprised of the lack of profilers available. Here''s the low-down on prices that I''ve found.

VTune $429.00

NuMega TrueTime $800* academic_discount = $600

The thing is that you can''t just buy TrueTime, you have to buy the ''DevPartner for Visual C++'' which comes with BoundsChecker®, TrueTime and TrueCoverage. I called up NuMega(the only way to get an evaluation copy) and I''m going to try it out. I''m not exactly sure where all this money is going to come from...maybe I''ll buy a couple of nice optimization books, stick with the VC++ profiler, buy an expensive pizza from that Itailan place and still come out a couple hundred ahead.

Lance    122
Vtune is a passive profiler. It samples the running executable at very short intervals and records what code was hit. The advantage is that the profiler is not invasive (i.e. it doesn''t instrument your code) and it tends to run at the speed the app normally runs at.

Active profilers (MSVC profiler, High-Prof), on the other hand, instrument your code which can mess with cache behaviour and other things. They also tend to run _very_ slow when profiling. The advantage, however, is that they provide extremely accurate counts of what is going on in your exe, rather than sampled data which can be skewed at times.

Personally I have used them all. I have found VTune is great for really low-level cache and assembly optimization, and active profilers are much better at higher level analyis of code blocks.

mr_jrt    134
Personally can''t see what the problem with the standard vc++ profiler is. Works fine for me, with lots of detailed (useful!) info being spewed from it. And it didn''t cost me another £400 on top of a £300 compiler.

Waassaap!!

kb9vcr    122
Well, I was going to give an update on what I thought of Numega''s profiling products. I emailed them and they called me and said it was on it''s way but low-and-behold I never received any thing after that. I got the impression that I was wasting their time and I had to try and prove to their represenatatives that I was actually considering buying it(which I was) because I was a student. Your milage may vary but I''m not going to spend any more time emailing or calling to try out a program I''ve never even seen or heard of as of a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else wants to. I don''t understand why they would make it so hard to get an evaluation version...what are they really losing?

Stoffel    250
I thought NuMega''s products all come unbundled now (for VC6.0)? I could be mistaken. Somebody else in our group is responsible for getting the tools.

I LOVE (LUV LUV LUV) NuMega''s stuff. The profiler rocks. The bounds checker''s pretty cool. SoftICE is a must for us because we develop NT drivers. It''s the best thing.

I''ve never been able to get MS''s built-in profiler to do anything useful. I get line coverage, and with a LOT of trial and error I can get function time, but it doesn''t seem to handle multi-threaded apps at ALL. No use to me (call me thread-boy).