What profilers are people using??

Started by
16 comments, last by kb9vcr 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m trying to find a good profiler to help me find my bottlenecks in some C++ code I''m writing. My options seem to be: MSVS profiler: blah, can they make it any less useful if they tried? VTune: My evaluation license will soon expire and after that, $$$ ?? I can''t imagine that my options are to use the MSVS profiler or shell out $400.(I''m in college and so the University has already called ''dibs'' all my money). What is everyone using to analyze their code?
Advertisement
Exactly

----------

Hmmm, I''ve only ever used the profiler that comes with VC6. I personally think it works rather well as it tells you how much time each function takes in total program time, how many times function was called, and the percentage of total program time a function is taking.

Of course, I''ve never used any other profiler and I''m sure there are much better ones that go more in depth, but I don''t see how the VC6 profiler isn''t useful.

- Houdini
- Houdini
1. If you wish to illegally share commercial software, at least have the decency to not do it in the open on these boards. Numega Bounds Checker is not free software as far as I know.

2. The VC++ profiler is a pretty good one, but you could have a look at Intel''s VTune, for which I think there''s a 30day free trial, available from the Intel web site.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
And least he had the common courtesy to even read my message and try and help.
quote:Original post by kb9vcr

He''s a moderator, and he has every right to tell you guys not to offer warez on the messageboard, because GameDev can be held accountable for it.

- Houdini

quote:
because GameDev can be held accountable for it.

Are you implying they could get into legal trouble for someone offering something illegal on a public forum? I'm not a lawyer an I've only been moderately following legal precedents like this, but are you sure? Last time I checked it does not over-ride free speach. Look at deja.com where it happens on an hourly basis...

I am not condoning warez or disagreeing that the moderator went beyond his lines, I am just saying no law has been broken...yet.

I also have a similar problem as the original poster, I have not not yet gotten the profiler in VC5 to do anything...

Mike

Edited by - Vetinari on October 4, 2000 6:52:23 PM
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
quote:Original post by Vetinari
Are you implying they could get into legal trouble for someone offering something illegal on a public forum? I''m not a lawyer an I''ve only been moderately following legal precedents like this, but are you sure? Last time I checked it does not over-ride free speach. Look at deja.com where it happens on an hourly basis...

What on earth does this have to do with free speech? Why is it that whenever something subjectively unfair seems to arise, people always refer to "free speech" as the catch-all justification? Most poeple throw the phrase around so much and out of context that you can tell they''ve never read the Consition/Bill of Rights and don''t even know what "free speech" refers to or to what degree we are protected.

...and now back to our regular programming...
quote:

quote:
2. The VC++ profiler is a pretty good one, but you could have a look at Intel''s VTune, for which I think there''s a 30day free trial, available from the Intel web site.

nuff said...

-Coleco

(maybe he didnt see that you use VTune already)

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

--HASBRO SUCKS--
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
I''d have to stick with the Intel VTune....absolutely the best!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement