What is "triangle mapping"?

Started by
5 comments, last by skyfire360 23 years, 6 months ago
I went to a site a while ago, and he had some movies of a program he made that had EXTREMELY realistic water. He said he was using triangle strips, which he claims to drop the poly count to around 5k. What is "triangle mapping" and how does one implement it?n Any demos? Thanks! -SkyFire
I do real things with imaginary numbers
Advertisement
can''t help with your question. I just wanted to make sure everyone sees this.
Alternatively, download the realtime non-movie version.
There's also a T&L version floating around somewhere, that adds a few extra lights, might boost the polycount as well. Do a search for Kano on demonews.

Cat

Edited by - Catfish on October 4, 2000 7:03:53 AM
You could use bump mapping with procedrual textures to generate nice water surfaces modified in realtime. (by wind or whatever)

You could also use triangles to create an approximation of a water surface.

You only need to mimick water, so look at water, study it and you''ll end up in a way of doing it.

You can do everything yourself, it''s much more interesting at the beginning, cause you''ll best understand what you find after having found your own solution.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Triangle strips are a way of drawing just like GL_QUADS or GL_TRIANGLES. To use triangles I *think* you do GL_TRISTRIPS or something like that. Anyway, with triangle strips, you basicly draw triangles BUT Each triangle must have a common edge with the triangle before it. Like this(Hope the diagram works):

O*****O*********O**     *        *  **    * *      *    **   *  *     *      **  *   *    *      **O* *     *   *   ****O*     *  *  **   **   *  ***     ** * **       *O*    

The ''O''s are vertices and the ''*''s are edges. Notice how eatch triangle shares an edge of the triangle before it
I know what triangle strips are , but what are triangle MAPS?
I do real things with imaginary numbers
Actually, the call is glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP) and they''re very handy. Also have a look at GL_TRIANGLE_FAN if you get bored of strips.

S.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement