Learning the basics & syntax of c++?

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
i have been interested in learning programming in c++ for some time now and finally decided to act and start learning. However i tried searching everywhere but i just cant find a place where i can learn the syntax and basics from. Most tutorials or books i found online assumed that i know the syntax and a few other things and build on from there. Leaving me in total darkness :D i want a complete newbie tutorial or book to teach me the basics so i can launch myself into the self-learning process. So can anyone direct me or point me to a site with tutorials that could help me, or perhaps even a book ? i'd prefer a tutorial since books are alittle harder to acquire though. I know c++ is "reasonably" easy to self learn if i am dedicated enough. I would be much obliged if someone can help me.
Serious Game Project: Midnight ManhattanTeam Website | Game Website | Screenshots Gallery | Game OverviewPositions Needed: Animators/Rigger | Texture/enviroment Artist | Character Modeller Recruitment Topic(more info) | Apply form | Email Contact: info.at.blueprintgames.com
Advertisement
Thinking in C++ has a good reputation, though I myself am not familiar with it.
Try this web site. Good place to start.

Cprogramming.com

Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Do you know any other programming languages or are you a first time-programmer?
There are some useful tutorials out there that help you to transition from one language to another.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
totally new programmer (or a wanna be programmer atm)
i faintly remember reading about basic but that just doesnt apply (if i remember anything of it)

i checked cprogrammer before, they assume that at least i got a good hold of syntax which i dont.

i wanted to get into programming, and several people have recommended c++ 1st then branch of to other languages cause its much easier.
quite frankly, i want to focus on c++ now before even thinking of learning something else.
thanks for your posts every1, i am checking the"thinking in c++" book, i just hope i get a chance to learn the real basics 1st.
If anyone knows some other place please post ;)
Serious Game Project: Midnight ManhattanTeam Website | Game Website | Screenshots Gallery | Game OverviewPositions Needed: Animators/Rigger | Texture/enviroment Artist | Character Modeller Recruitment Topic(more info) | Apply form | Email Contact: info.at.blueprintgames.com
you do not need to start in another language, just be ready to type some things people tell you without knowing why ... basically with C++ as a starter langauge, there will be many things that "just are" the way they are ... and you can't learn why for each of them as you tackle the basics of programming, because you wouldn't get anywhere and you'd get discouraged ... learn to ignore things like "how #include works" or "why do we use #ifndef at the top of header files" until after you have written a few super simple programs ... learn to just figure out how to change or add to a small program to make it do what you want ...

here's a list of basic usefull things:

'int' and 'bool' primative data types
'string' class
'cout' for writing to the console (terminal screen)
'cin' for reading from the keyboard
'if' for branching depending on what values you have
'while' for looping multiple times over the same code

with just those you should be able to get starting, with very simple problems.
http://cplus.about.com/library/blcplustut.htm

I found it by accident because I clicked
here.

Thermo/Konfu

PS:
Also, perhaps have a look at
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/
first. It's about Python, the "other" language. :)
"Accelerated C++". Most other books teach you C first and many
low level that are only in C++ because of C compatibility. With
this book you'll learn essential language features and library
functions first, then low level (which is more difficult, unless
you learnt C before) is introduced.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
I found it by accident because I clicked
here.

*laughs*
Learn Python first. It will get you into thinking like a programmer. Also read How To Think Like a Computer Scientist (as Konfusius recommended).

I would say that C++ is the most difficult language you could learn. I've been learning and working with it for 7 years and still don't know it fully. I'm 32 years old. There are aspects to the language that the experts are still debating and learning how to best use.

A language like Python will, from the start, have you focused on using existing data structures and libraries to get work done. It is a very good language to learn as the syntax is simple but the underlying language is powerful. It has an excellent reputation in the whole industry and its annual conference is combined with the C++ annual conference. It is well liked. The two languages are very different (dynamic/static) and very similar (support generic and object oriented programming).

There are aspects of C++ that can be taught well to get you up and running writing useful programs. As the AP says Accelerated C++ is an excellent book. A lot of C/C++ books have focused on how to build everything from scratch which can be quite tedious. Accelerated C++ gets you using the C++ Standard Library from the very beginning, its data structures and algorithms. This is, I feel a far better approach and complements the style that Python encourages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement