• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CodeTitan

VB and Delphi

This topic is 5475 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are Visual Basic and Delphi actually used to programm games? Are they useful programming languages for the task? EDIT: I use C++ right now, I was wondering if I should switch back to VB or Delphi? [Edited by - CodeTitan on September 25, 2004 8:50:42 PM]

Advertisement
If you already know C++, that's great. I'd not recommend moving to a higher-level language. I personally use VB6 for all my programming needs (Dx works well with it), and there are a couple commercial games out there that were written in VB as well.

I wouldn't recommend you switch, however, C++ by far is the more powerful language, and more helpful in the longrun... (mmm... multithreading...) [wink]

I'm sure almost everyone around here will recommend you stay with C++ if you already have a good idea of how to work with it, and with good reason. Good results can be obtained with VB6 (I don't know about Delphi, havn't tried it), but C++ is undisputably more suited to the task, and will ultimately provide you with more power.

And since you've been told that by two of the rarer people who are 'insane' enough to actually use VB6 in thier projects, it's not overly biased by someone who just loves C++. [wink]

But yes, you can get some pretty good results with VB6 (and presumably also .net), although you often have to work harder to get decent performance. I agree with Mushu, you should stick with C++ unless you have some good specific reason you want to switch.

Currently I use C++ for my game engine and Delphi for my level editor and processing tools.

I use C++ because many of the popular libraries, examples, and algorithms are in C++. Although I could translate them to Delphi I have come to realize that it's just faster and easier not too :)

I use Delphi for my level editor and processing tools because when it comes to quickly building powerful Windows/Linux applications Delphi is (in my mind) the clear leader. This may just be me but I feel that out of all the languages I use I am more productive in Delphi.

Although I currently choose not too Delphi can easily be used for your game engine. I personally have worked on two published, but not very successful games that were written entirely in Delphi. Delphi is every bit powerful enough to handle current games. The only draw back I found to using Delphi was that as I said before most of the libraries like DirectX require quit a bit of extra work before you can even begin to use them. You can check out www.delphigamer.com for more info on games that have been made with Delphi.

I use VB.net at work to build business applications and I can tell you from personal experience that there is a noticeable performance difference between any version of VB and other languages like Delphi or C++. IMO VB has way too much overhead to consider doing more than a basic tetris clone. I admit that in the past I have refused to touch VB 4, 5 or 6 even for the sake of employment, but VB.Net has come a long way so now when I don’t have the option of using Delphi then VB.net is probably the next best thing. I happily use VB.net for atleast 8 hours a day so my recommendation on avoiding it for games is based on the fact that it was not build for that kind of performance.

Quote:

IMO VB has way too much overhead to consider doing more than a basic tetris clone.

VB (6 at least, it's the only version I've used extensively), when used correctly (with DirectX, good optimisation, avoid the built in controls, etc), can definately perform at a much higher level than that of a basic tetris clone - however, as I said above, it takes a lot more effort, and code written in VB will only run on Windows.

Using C++ for your games, and a different language for tools/editors is a good option however.

when i used delphi some years ago there was delphiX... but i'm not sure if it still exists or if it improved since dx7 or 6... i like delphi to build small apps. i've never tried vb because since qbasic is dead i never touched a basic again no matter how good it may be now. delphi is a very nice program but for games i would recommend c/c++. but theres no reason why you shouldnt use delphi, vb or <insert language name> to make games.
edit: you use c/c++ atm? then theres no need to switch back.
i would recommend to have a look at delphi (or vb) for tools with much gui stuff. you can click it together easy and dont have to bother with stuff like creating a window and buttons and other things. its fast and easy (i cant say about vb.. but i guess its pretty much the same)

Same as Myra, I use C++ for the engine and Delphi for the tools. I've used Delphi for many years, and it's my favorite language. It's easy and very powerful, you can do anything with it.It is unfair to compare it with VB. I imagine using DirectX with Delphi would be kind of a drag, but I use OpenGL myself. The only reason I switched to C++ is that there is much more support(forums,tutorials,books) for C++ than Delphi.

Quote:
Original post by mikeman
The only reason switched to C++ is that there is much more support(forums,tutorials,books) for C++ than Delphi.
true... i used to use delphi for games too. but then i began studying and we learned c. i thought it would be nice to try to make games with c/c++. after problems in the beginning i think i like it even more than delphi now. but for tools/apps delphi is teh winnar...

In the end it boils down to what you want to use :)

Yes, there are games being developed in Delphi, and more or less the same options with DirectX/OpenGL there as with C/C++. Of course it takes abit more time for us Delphi-coders to use the latest updates on i.e. DirectX as someone has to translate the headers to Delphi/Pascal, but that's not a big problem.

If I should select just out of the language it self I would choose Delphi because I know it, better than I know C/C++.

If I should select based on the entire process with games (sale, support, community, knowledge) I would probably choose C++. This being because the community around C/C++ is much larger than the Delphi community. This again results in more C/C++ books/tools/tutorials/forum posters ;)

My personal opinion, if you know C/C++, stick to it, if you're more comfortable with Delphi (or VB which I know nothing about) try it out :)

Good luck :)
______
Eriken

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!