• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xman39

Modifying a binary/dat file

This topic is 5414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am looking into the possibility of modifying a binary dat file so I can change car skins, ect. (World of Outlaws Sprint Car Racing) All of the car images are compiled into one file. Is this possible? Where do I start? Thanks

Advertisement
this isn't really programming... that said, their dat file is probably proprietary. That also said, try renaming it to a .zip file and opening it with winzip. If that dosn't work, fire up a hex editor and poke the values around (keeping a copy of the original of course) and figure it out.

Also, google.

Quote:
Original post by xman39
Is this possible? Where do I start?

Either you figure out the files structure by yourself or you search Google for it. Figuring it out by yourself is NOT the easy solution, but at first you could try the different known formats like .zip, .tar, .gz etc. If it's invalid in all cases then you'll have to open it in a hex editor, like the other guy said, and modify it, but that may (and will) take a while.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!