Modifying a binary/dat file

Started by
2 comments, last by nife 19 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I am looking into the possibility of modifying a binary dat file so I can change car skins, ect. (World of Outlaws Sprint Car Racing) All of the car images are compiled into one file. Is this possible? Where do I start? Thanks
Advertisement
I dunno if this is right but what i usually try to do is dissasemble it but there probably is an eaiser way... I hope
this isn't really programming... that said, their dat file is probably proprietary. That also said, try renaming it to a .zip file and opening it with winzip. If that dosn't work, fire up a hex editor and poke the values around (keeping a copy of the original of course) and figure it out.

Also, google.
Quote:Original post by xman39
Is this possible? Where do I start?

Either you figure out the files structure by yourself or you search Google for it. Figuring it out by yourself is NOT the easy solution, but at first you could try the different known formats like .zip, .tar, .gz etc. If it's invalid in all cases then you'll have to open it in a hex editor, like the other guy said, and modify it, but that may (and will) take a while.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement