[web] mySQL connection problems

Started by
3 comments, last by Noods 19 years, 6 months ago
Im upgrading my host and my forums. Im going from Ikonboard to Invision. To do this, Im running a php converter that SHOULD connect to mySQL (on my personal server) from my new host and convert all the information to my invision board on my new host. However, every time I try and run through the php converter, it tells me it couldnt connect to my database (on my personal server) I have the IP, database name, user name and password correct. What else can cause this? I cant look at it right now, but what are some things I can try when I get home? Thanks in advance! -Noods
Advertisement
Are you an administrator on the mysql box?

If so, all you need to do is change the allowed hostname of the user from localhost to * or, anybody. Or add a new user with the same name but with the host you're running the converter on, and some password (or the same) of course.

It *could* also be a firewall disallowing foreign mysql connections.

If not, just ask your admin to allow it. Hopefully he will, but you might need to buy him a few beers if he's in a bad mood.
I think you may be on to something. The connection gets dropped right away, more like its rejected then failed to find it. I am the administrator, but how exacatly do you change the allowed hostname? I set this up a few years ago, and stumbled through it the whole way, Im not very familiar with mySQL.

I considered it being my router, but I byppassed it totally, and still no luck. I have no firewall otherwise.
uhhh.... my mysql admin skills are rusty.

I think it might have a command to do this by itself, check the manual.

Barring that, the hard way looks something like

use mysql;
select * from users where username='joebob';
insert into users (exact stufff, "put new hostname in there", exact stuff);

not exact, and I'd check the mysql manual for how to do this teh right way first.
Ill check it out, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement