Hello from the new kid on the block

Started by
3 comments, last by NoWhereMan 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone in GameDev land! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of steps one should take to get into the Game Development Industry, product testing, and project management...I have just enrolled in a Masters in Science for Information Management and I am also wanting to branch off into the creative side of development. What else should I be studying?
Advertisement
Well, could you give more details, do you have any experience in game development? Do you have any programming skills, if so how long have you been programming and with what language?
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
Welcome to GDnet. [smile]

Make sure to check out For Beginners and the forum FAQ. Providing the additional info NoWhereMan requested will probably aid you in recieving a good answer. It helps to have some experience, which you can get by joining mod projects, or indie development teams if you have time. I'm sure some others here will also offer additional advise.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hi there and welcome.Tell us how much you know and we will tell you what more you should know[grin]

$:Oh, we have all heard this a hundred times, "start small"...
@:Then how come no one listens?
$:That's because we dont have time to listen to suff we heard before
(... from far off:come on,we are making a new engine), so gota go,bye.

[DAYS LATER]News Flash:A new engine being made has exploded, all k........................
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
I hate it when people say ask how they would go about making HALO or Unreal Tournament. Anyone who says this has no clue about game development. First you would have to pick a language, I would suggest starting with BASIC, then moving onto a more advanced language such as C++. Some may want to dive into C++, and thats fine. Then get that language down, and start a simple and small project such as Pong, Tetris, or a Text-RPG. These projects are just so you can learn how to program games. Then you may move onto more advanced projects, and adventually 3D.
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement