Is opengl dead for game programming ?

Started by
31 comments, last by Mawww 19 years, 6 months ago
I surfed on the net today and saw some review of game coding books. And in a lot of comments, people were saying things like : "Sample code is opengl so unusable for real game developping" i just can't understand why people are saying that. * i'm working on my 3D engine in OpenGL * Doom3 IS an OpenGL game * most of the people i know use OpenGL renderer in the halflife engine... so why people are saying OpenGL is dead for game programming ? -- vive la france --
Tchou kanaky ! tchou !
Advertisement
Because they're ignorant?
OpenGL can be coded very inefficently. There's a good chance that the books which were reviewed contain code which isn't useful for game programming because it's too high-level; ie. it uses glBegin/glEnd blocks instead of the much faster glDrawElements. Also, it seems that DirectX has become more prevalent of late (even I'm using it) with the release of DirectX 9, and games like Doom 3 that only use OpenGL represent the exception these days, not the norm. Three other next-gen games, Half-Life 2, FarCry and the next incarnation of the Unreal Engine, are all built upon Direct3D 9. Coding multiple renderers these days seems to be a luxury that developers can't afford. Even with the protracted development of Half-Life 2 (it's about 5 years now), the complexity of modern engines means choosing a rendering API, and sticking with it. Don't forget that OpenGL and Direct3D are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to support for new features and for performance. However, Direct3D has consolidated support for things like floating-point buffers, which are a requirement of High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting. To do that in OpenGL, you need to use vendor-specific extensions, and it won't be until the next version of OpenGL that this is remedied. It's small things like this that are allowing Direct3D to take market share...
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
It is however true that GL is being used less and less in the PC games industry. This doesn't mean you have to stop using it though, it's still a perfectly good API, just use what you're comfortable with.
OpenGL isn't dead at all. Not a lot of companies aren't using openGL YET because there aren't that many people with experience with openGL in the game industry. Because there aren't that many books on openGL and some of those books are unsefficient. also, openGL is still a bit new and the companies havent accepted it yet even though it is pretty much just as good as directX
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
OpenGL isn't dead at all. Not a lot of companies aren't using openGL YET because there aren't that many people with experience with openGL in the game industry. Because there aren't that many books on openGL and some of those books are unsefficient. also, openGL is still a bit new and the companies havent accepted it yet even though it is pretty much just as good as directX

you do realize opengl is older than directx, right?
i do know that openGL is older, but openGL is new to being used in profesional game development.
Quote:i do know that openGL is older, but openGL is new to being used in profesional game development.
No it isn't.

OpenGL is perfectly good, but its a bit annoying that you have to rely on extensions because Windows doesn't have support for the latest versions of OpenGL, while Direct3D comes with Windows and is updated whenever the rest of DirectX is updated.
Because OpenGL is designed to be used with high-end graphics workstations, it has, until recently, included the power to take full advantage of consumer-level graphics hardware.
The real question is:
Are portable 3D games dead?

And if so, who killed them?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement