Is A C Compiler Written In C

Started by
22 comments, last by Palidine 19 years, 6 months ago
I Imagine that the first ever C compiler had to be written in assembler. Then all ones after that were written in C? ace
Advertisement
don't sure about C, but first pascal compiler was written in pascal and then manually translated to assembler.... then it compiled itself.
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
don't sure about C, but first pascal compiler was written in pascal and then manually translated to assembler.... then it compiled itself.

Blood just started pouring out of my ears.
imagine the first assembler. it must have been writen in machine code...ouch.
What programs did they use for writing the machine code?

Cheers,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Quote:Original post by Drag0n
What programs did they use for writing the machine code?

Why, Dragon Naturally Speaking, of course!
I imagine the first assembler was written in machine code, and the first machine code was punched on punch cards ;). Writing a cryptic assembler isn't all that difficult, I imagine it'd take about a week of writing for an assembler written in machine code to be able to compile an assembler. It only needs to support enough to write the assembler in itself.
Have you ever written in machine? :)
Quote:
Programming of the cross-correlation algorithm was achieved by a combination of telephone jack-plugs, cords and switches.

mmmm, programming 1940's style.

http://www.codesandciphers.org.uk/lorenz/colossus.htm

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Quote:and the first machine code was punched on punch cards

Actually I'll think you'll find that it was toggled in on the front panel of the machine (i.e. you set bits one by one then pressed a store button, then wrote in the next byte and so on). Aparently Seymore Cray (inventor of the Cray supercomputer) toggled in an entire OS from memory on the front panel of a computer [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement