FPS independant movement question

Started by
15 comments, last by Panopticon 19 years, 6 months ago
thanks again!

I'm topping out at 85-86 myself wich is plenty for me :D yay!

Advertisement
T_ested the app, it ran nice and smooth on my Geforcefx and Athlon 2.8. Around 1600 fps pretty stable. Great work on the framerate independent movement.

In the article section of 2Dnow! in my sig are two articles about Delta time, if you have any more problems they should set you straight.

Good luck.
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Quote:Original post by Bad Maniac
T_ested the app, it ran nice and smooth on my Geforcefx and Athlon 2.8. Around 1600 fps pretty stable. Great work on the framerate independent movement.

In the article section of 2Dnow! in my sig are two articles about Delta time, if you have any more problems they should set you straight.

Good luck.

woah....1600!??
Yep, between 1500 and 1600, no surprise really, I assume you are using SDL's Hardware accelerated part to render that, and such a simple scene shouldn't run below that on modern hardware. I reach nearly 1000 FPS in my software library with a similar scene, so your SDL one should be faster really.

What you are probably experiencing is that you are waiting for vsync. 85 Hz sounds an awful lot like a fairly modern screen's refresh rate. Try telling SDL to draw your frame without waiting for Vsync. It works for me because I have Vsync turned off in my drivers.
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Im getting 800 FPS with a GeForce3 Ti-500 P4 2Ghz people getting 85 FPS is because Vertical Sync is switched on. You can manually switch this off through your driver.
worst 1998
best 2203

Athlon 2500 @ 3200
Radeon 9800 PRO
1GB RAM

that's with v-sync turned off. Note that once I turned v-sync off the square would bounce on the right and run off the left side.

With V-Sync on the loop ran fine. at which point I never dropped below 84 and of course maxed at 86.
hmm that sounds very promising!

thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement