some questions about beginning a career

Started by
23 comments, last by datadawgx 19 years, 6 months ago
Me and my 2 friends are 13. We want to start a company that makes games. Where should we start? What program should I use for programming games? What program should I use for drawing graphics? What college do you recommend? Is Collins College a good choice? THANKS!!! -Jaydude
Advertisement
I will humour this.

a) You can use a programming language. C++, C, #C, and Java are all decent choices.

b) For 3D graphics, Blender and Maya are free and work well. For 2D anything will work really. Photoshop and Paintshop Pro both are very nice.

c) Never heard of it. Many colleges are good.

Good luck on your hopefully long and prosperous company :).
Quote:Original post by jaydude
Me and my 2 friends are 13. We want to start a company that makes games. Where should we start?

What program should I use for programming games?

What program should I use for drawing graphics?

take a look at the header on this page and click the For Beginners link. your questions are answered there. the short answer is that there are lots of programs and programming languages and graphics APIs that you can use to make games. they're all different but there's no right or wrong choice. the first thing you should do is learn a computer programming language, but i'd just start on the "For Beginners" page.

Quote:Original post by jaydude
What college do you recommend? Is Collins College a good choice?

why are you thinking about college if you're 13? don't you have all of high school to go through first? i wouldn't worry about this until sophmore or junior year of high school. you won't be able to answer "where should i go to college" questions until you see what your grades and test scores are.

-me
Forget the company, and just make games a hobby. If you are dedicated, then age is no matter. Just make sure you dont set crazy goals like making the next Doom3 or World of Warcraft. Instead focus on making some simple demos or games.

To be honest, I wanted to do the same when I started out, and then you grow a little and realize things. So basically, just keep it simple and focus on your school and make games as a hobby in your spare time.
(besides, how many 13yr olds have a gaming company that you know of?)
Quote:(besides, how many 13yr olds have a gaming company that you know of?)

No duh, we arent going to make a company yet, not till after we worked for someone else for a while after college. And anyways you know insomniac games? They were started by 4 people trying to make a doom imatation. Anyway, They have some of the best games on the market. Remember Spyro, one of the classics that made them famous. So, we are thinking very long term we each want a $1400000 yacht.
Quote:(besides, how many 13yr olds have a gaming company that you know of?)

No duh, we arent going to make a company yet, not till after we worked for someone else for a while after college. And anyways you know insomniac games? They were started by 4 people trying to make a doom imatation. Anyway, They have some of the best games on the market. Remember Spyro, one of the classics that made them famous. So, we are thinking very long term we each want a $1400000 yacht.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
...Maya are free and work well.

Maya isn't free.

Quote: For 2D anything will work really. Photoshop and Paintshop Pro both are very nice.

The "Open Source Photoshop" is GIMP.

Thermo
Quote:Original post by Konfusius

Maya isn't free.

The learning edition is.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea

Maya isn't free.

The learning edition is.

Yes, but you cannot export your models or get rid of the watermark, so if they actually want to use it, they shouldn't be thinking 3DSMAX or Maya.... Anyway, not untill they have a bunch of money...
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
Quote:Original post by nife
Quote:Original post by Ainokea

Maya isn't free.

The learning edition is.

Yes, but you cannot export your models or get rid of the watermark, so if they actually want to use it, they shouldn't be thinking 3DSMAX or Maya.... Anyway, not untill they have a bunch of money...

I think most of the top 3D application companies offer a one time conversion of models,etc from the learning edition to the full retail edition if you are serious but you'd have to check the fineprint.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement