[web] swf into exe

Started by
8 comments, last by m_saad 19 years, 6 months ago
For a certain project I am required to develop a module which can convert swf files into screensavers. Are there any tutorials/ documentation with which I can start off? What will be the different steps involved? I guess the tricky part is to convert it into a standalone exe. One caution I can’t use any third party tool for that, since this is an academic project so I need to write my own code. But I guess I will need some library though. Thanks for your help
Advertisement
I'm guessing that you wouldn't want to actually convert the swf into an exe, but rather, either embed the swf and plugin into the exe or call the plugin externally (like from where IE stores it).

I know PC Gamer uses exe's that are powered by flash for their demo disks. I'd do a google for 'standalone flash' or 'flash embedded exe', or something along those lines.
[Slime] I saw a headline on the newspaper today: "Horrific Rape in Alley", or something.[Slime] I was like "Is there any other kind of rape?"[Slime] "HILARIOUS RAPE AS CLOWN SODOMIZED"
The flash player can create 'projector' .exe files. maybe you could run this .exe and have your program eat all keyboard and mouse input... or you could embed the swf into your program as an activeX control.
Actually the real idea is to convert a swf file into a screensaver. I tried googling around but there wasn’t much luck. I thought if I am able to make an exe then making a screensaver out if it won’t be much of a challenge. Thanks for replies
http://www.zb2000.com/flashsaver.htm

http://www.neoaspire.com/
Thanks kanzler: but I don't need a product, I need to make one which does that. It is not for professional use but for educational purposes.

Thanks again
Hmm, not sure if you could, but how about creating a stub .exe file, that plays an external .swf file? That way, you could drop in different .swf files and the .exe would play them straight away.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this done before. I know you can do it with Director, but can't remember if you can with Flash (I'd be surprised if you can't, though).
Try Multi D Media.com... :)

I convert my simple Flash games with it into exe files, when I need to put them on a CD. Pretty cool, even let's me read Access Databases, or have tranparent (borderless) windows. It also writes to files, gets hard Disk serial number, and much more...
Cordially,Abel K.Miami Beach, FL, USAwww.worldkit.com
Quote:Try Multi D Media.com... :)

I convert my simple Flash games with it into exe files, when I need to put them on a CD. Pretty cool, even let's me read Access Databases, or have tranparent (borderless) windows. It also writes to files, gets hard Disk serial number, and much more...

Yeah, Flash Studio Pro looks to be the premier SWF-EXE product on the market right now. Nicest (and not much talked about) feature it's got is that it can pack up the Flash runtime stuff into the EXE, so your app can have no runtime requirements at all. The other SWF-EXE tools I've found still require Flash to be installed on the target machine. Flash is a good bet nowadays, but there can still be version number conflicts if, for example, a person has Flash 5 on their machine and your app requires Flash 6.

Also it lets you do lots of stuff that Flash applets can't normally do, like read and write files, talk to the registry, talk to databases, etc.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Thanks all :)
I shall go with Flash Studio Pro, as johnhattan said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement