Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
conman

[.net] debugging VSIP package

This topic is 5410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi! I have a problem with debugging my VSIP package. Wenn I build my package and start the build Project from Visual Studio a new Visual Studio Experimental opens with my Package. Trace infos and debug output appear in the original Visual Studio window which holds the package solution. But then I have problemswith my package because the DTE object belongs not to the Visual Studio instance which runs my package, it belongs to the original Visual Studio instance (I simply printed the current project name to find this out, it's always the packages project and not the dummy project I loaded into the VS Experimental instance.) When I close all Visual Studio threads and start manually Visual Studio Experimental it works fine, the current project is the current project of the Visual Studio instance my package runs in. Does someone have any ideas why that happens? Has it something to do with calling devenv.exe /setup /rootsuffix exp bevor running Visual Studio Experimental. In the MSDN help for building a package this step is provided, but it didn't have any effects... Thanks in advance! - Constantin [Edited by - conman on September 27, 2004 7:24:54 AM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
There might be an easier way, but this should work:

Start a new VS.Net instance with /rootsuffix exp (AAIK the /setup parameter is only usefull if new Addins were added)
Then, in the VS.Net instance where your Addin-project is loaded, goto Debug/Processes and attach to devenv.exe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting, I'll try that!
But do you know why the DTE object gets confused doing it the way I did it?

Thanks!

- Constantin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No sorry, I have no idea why you get the wrong DTE object..

I get mine in the package's Initialize method:

dte = (DTE)GetService(typeof(DTE));

and that gives me the exp-instance's DTE object...

My project's settings are like this:

StartAction = "Program"
StartArguments = "/rootsuffix Exp"
StartProgram = "devenv.exe"

HTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!