• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jjac7212

Learning troubles

This topic is 5406 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

learning how to use DirectX for me is impossible. i have read countless tutorials and even have a few books on the subject but i still havent been able to even put a simple bitmap on the screen with directDraw. I am good with programming (have made several games) and am quite comfortable with the C++ language, mainly with console applications and pure Dos. Is there something wrong, any ideas/similarities you guys might have/had. thanx in advanced

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I'll go flaimbait :

Forget about logics, forget about determinism. The development model for a DirectX application is :
1. Take a working example provided by MS
2. Tweak it, copy-paste working bits from other examples
3. Try to maintain this patchwork-like code.

It is possible to create a DX app from scratch but it takes a lot of work. (Disclaimer : I never used DX9 currently I'm developping for DX8.1)

Its sad, but true. I have been learning DirectX as well and that seems to be the way to go. At least for the base code (init and whatnot) and go from there. As he said, you can do it yourself, and I do recommend doing so at least once, but after that you can use the code you wrote over again, especially if you keep the init code in its own module/class/namespace in an easily includable file. Hope that helps.

The 5 or 6 tutorials in the SDK are an excellent place to start. A book may also be a better starting point than lots of random tutorials. I think there is one by Walsh named beginning D3D programming .

I had tried OpenGL and had got totally confused with LHS and RHS systems as OGL uses both. (whole pipeline is in RHS, eye coordinates are in LHS). I found that D3D, after the initial pains of setting up the window and Teh DEVICES, is more intuitive to understand, specially for beginner 3D programmers than OGL. Whose sytax is cleaner is a matter or personal preference.

Thanx u guys.
ill try these in order.
1. the documentation that comes with the SDK.

if that doesn't teach me anything ill try:

2. tweaking different sections of MS examples

hopefully this will work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!