• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pulsar

"help for multiplayers mario"

This topic is 5407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm thinking of making multiplayers(two players)mario clone. There will be two Mario, one for player1 and other for player2. One player will be controlling from one machine and other from other machine.Resources(coins,star etc) for both will be common. This is basically using simulation of both "CONTRA" game and "MARIO" together. Anybody plz help how I should proceed. Sholud I have to send Mario position continuously? PLZ tell what r the things I can do to make it real multiplayers. Plz help .

Advertisement
It's been done before - sadly their homepage seems to have disappeared, but google for super mario war and you should find it.

Not that it having been done before means you shouldn't do it, of course...

Does it have to work over the internet or is lan only (or 'good' internet connections) enough?
A simple two player game running over TCP with a fixed framerate and without any dead reckoning shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Guest Anonymous Poster
To make it run on LAN only.
If it is possible to make it run on internet then its fine.
Till now I did'nt know how should I proceed.
I made PONG that runs fine on LAN but not in internet.
Now,I'm trying to simulate MARIO.

A pong clone? Great, then you already know most of the 'new' stuff.

The easiest technique would (probably) be input reflection.
Let the server control the first player and the client the second, then in the input loop you just grab the other player's input from the network.

All that's required is to lock the game to a fixed framerate and to disallow any non-deterministic behaviour (i.e. use synchronized random number generators) otherwise it shouldn't be any different from a multiplayer-on-a-single-keyboard game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!