• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Phreak_

outdoor/indoor game

This topic is 5470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to write game like serious sam, what do you think graphics should be ??? Shoud I use LOD for world / enemys??? What algorithm ??? Should I create real shadow ( self shadowing ) to all enemys??? Bump mapping ???

Advertisement
Dude, just use Cube. If you're new and you want to just make new maps and models for a Sam-type-game, Cube is where its at.

I have no idea about your level... but self shadowing is a complicated technique... as for bump mapping... no harm in that... though thats still advanced for a begginer...
assuming your not a begginer:
LOD for enemies isnt a terrible idea... but youd be better served with precomputed lod (maybe just a couple of levels) because modern cards can handle quite a few polys...

assuming you are a begginer:
learn a graphics API: direct3d (directx graphics), openGL
learn a language: c/c++, java (i hope you already know a language if your even thinking about making a game right now)
learn some of the theory involved

hope that helps
-Dan

I know how to use openGL , I know delphi but for LOD I know just geomipmapping it's 4 terrain data. Of course 4 enemies LOD would be precompiled, so it should be rendered All in one LOD. And what abaut world ??? It should be culled su only one part of it should rendered and computed LOD, of cource LOD should be determinated by distance. What LOD algorithm you sugest ???

one thing... if your using a brush based world... (like quake 3 and such) i think its a bad idea to do LOD on the world... though on terrain... and static meshes... it could be good... and fustrumn culling + an octree woudlnt be a bad idea
-Dan

For terrain, whatever you do, do something simple that doesn't thrash the vertex buffer. A lot of LOD algorithms out there perform complicated calculations on vertex data, which can be a bitch on modern cards if you're not careful (have to send the vertex buffer over AGP bus every frame? no thanks).

A tile-based approach is what I'm using, with pre-computed LOD index buffer for each tile.

Thanks, now I know what to do. What can I do it is just indexed LOD for enemies. I Think the main problem is culling, OcTree + Frustum culling is not enoth, it would be better to add some occlusion culling. What you think ???

I would suggest that you start by the heightmap, your mesh, your collisions and AFTER try to optimise with frustrum culling, occlusion query and so on...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!