• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kordova

TASM woes (16bit - 32bit conversion)

This topic is 5472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I've been working in 16bit a little bit. I've gotten 13h working and I'm pretty comfortable. Now I'm trying to port what I've done so far to 32 bit, using tasm32 and tlink32 in place of tasm and tlink. Unfortunately I can't even get a skeleton program up and running. Here's the code:
Title Prog 16 Test
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
.code
main proc
    mov ax,@data
    mov ds,ax

mov ax,4C00h
    int 21h
main endp
end main

And I get the following message:
Starting pass 1.
Fatal: 16 bit segments not supported in module assn.ASM
I'm using the commands:
tasm32/l/n/z/w2/m4/zi assn
tlink32 -m -v -r assn.OBJ,Res.exe
Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Advertisement
I think it's this:
.model small

the "small" model is 16bit. You either need to remove that line, or replace it with .model <somethingelse>.
I don't have the TASM docs handy, so I don't know what model you'd need for 32bit.

If you're going into protected mode, you'll also need to set up a selector to access video memory, or make sure you use one that gives total access to the entire memory map. It's been a long time since I did any of that, so I can't really get specific.

Unfortunately I don't have the docs either.

I'm now getting:
Fatal: Bad loc for fixupp in module 'assn.OBJ' near file offset 1c8

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!