• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aprosenf

Dev-C++ Help

This topic is 5469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Long story short, I used to have MSVC on my old computer, I got a new computer, and now I'm using Dev-C++. It's certainly a step up from Notepad, but it's got a bunch of things that annoy me. Even though I unchecked the Tabs to Spaces options, it still converts all my tabs to spaces. This is very annoying, especially when I want to delete a tab, I have to hit delete 4 times. Also, hitting the left arrow at the beginning of a line doesn't move the cursor to the end of the previous line, and similarly, hitting the right arrow at the end of a line just creates a space and moves the cursor to the right of it (and likewise clicking the mouse beyond the end of a line creates a bunch of spaces and puts the cursor there). Finally, on a more programming-related note, when I compile and run a program that tries to open a file using a local or relative filename (i.e. just saying open("test.txt") as opposed to open("C:\\...\\test.txt")), it uses C:\Dev-C++ as the working directory, not that of the executable. I can't seem to find the answers to any of these problems in the Dev-C++ help files, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out. Thanks.

Advertisement
First, please break a post like this up. [grin]

First off: most of the settings are in Tools->Editor Options.

Second: I'm going by version 4.9.9.0.

Quote:
Original post by Aprosenf
Even though I unchecked the Tabs to Spaces options, it still converts all my tabs to spaces. This is very annoying, especially when I want to delete a tab, I have to hit delete 4 times.
Probably a bug. File a bug report. For now, check "Backspace Unindents" in Editor Options.

Quote:

Also, hitting the left arrow at the beginning of a line doesn't move the cursor to the end of the previous line,
AFAIK it can't do this.

Quote:

and similarly, hitting the right arrow at the end of a line just creates a space and moves the cursor to the right of it (and likewise clicking the mouse beyond the end of a line creates a bunch of spaces and puts the cursor there).
"Cursor past EOL" in Editor Options.

Quote:

Finally, on a more programming-related note, when I compile and run a program that tries to open a file using a local or relative filename (i.e. just saying open("test.txt") as opposed to open("C:\\...\\test.txt")), it uses C:\Dev-C++ as the working directory, not that of the executable.
Not sure. It's always used the project's directory for me (which is not necessarily the exe directory, but it should be by default).

Quote:

I can't seem to find the answers to any of these problems in the Dev-C++ help files, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out. Thanks.
No problem.

Ok, I removed whatever version I had (4.something) and installed 4.9.9.0. Things are much peachier now. Thanks for the help. Now I just gotta learn how to use GDB.

Quote:
Original post by Aprosenf Now I just gotta learn how to use GDB.

GDB is pretty easy to use, but I prefer using a gui over it. I think Insite is pretty good for the money... (free)

http://sources.redhat.com/insight/

jbc

Reasons like that are one of the reasons I use a dedicated editor.

As it stands I can change compilers/platforms and keep the same familiar editing enviroment.

Might be worth considering.

FWIW.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!