dream military FPS - what would you add?

Started by
26 comments, last by trapdoor 19 years, 6 months ago
Personally I would want cities (not pre-designed levels) not one for every mission but they would be used until it was occupied. this would allow for open strategies for the players, of course friendly and hostile AI should be very good at their respective jobs. Destructible enviroments Not every building can be destroyed some have reinforced concrete or steel plates,etc,etc. only a few wepons can damage this like rocket launchers(they dont have to necessarily destroy a whole building but can punch holes in the walls) or high-caliber cannons(its bullets will go through some walls) Weather and terrain that actually affect your visibility and movement. Battle Calendar. Here come marked the dates of major operations, sometimes they will randomly appear. In the mean time you can go on less critical missions, volunteer for patrols, scouting missions,etc. Earning pay to buy non-standard issued weapons, modifications for your weapons,combat cocktails(drugs-to augment performance),etc What would you like in your dream military FPS ? PS the setting would be a modern middle eastern battlefield since it hasn't been exploited a lot(like WW2 or vietnam just recently) maybe because of the current world affairs there.
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."Ralph Waldo Emerson
Advertisement
I'd like to see a FPS where the developers actually took the [one week] time to make moving and aiming actually feel like moving and aiming, but that would mean that someone would have to be unique--and we can't have any of that nonsense.
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.
Quote:Original post by ArS bLoOdS
[...]Cities[...]

[...]Destructible environment[...]

[...]Player-affecting weather/terrain[...]

These all have a very real possibility of being included in OFP2.

Earning pay to buy non-standard issued weapons, modifications for your weapons,combat cocktails(drugs-to augment performance),etc

I don't know - not very realistic from a common soldier's standpoint; better added via mod.
Bunny rabbits.

"Death awaits you with sharp...pointy...teath!!!", Tim, The Search for the Holy Grail.

PS the setting would be a modern middle eastern battlefield since it hasn't been exploited a lot(like WW2 or vietnam just recently) maybe because of the current world affairs there.

You think?

Black Hawk Down
America's Army
Special Force
Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat
Divided Ground

How about a more original location, say, in the US?
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia
PS the setting would be a modern middle eastern battlefield since it hasn't been exploited a lot(like WW2 or vietnam just recently) maybe because of the current world affairs there.
You think?

Black Hawk Down
America's Army
Special Force
Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat
Divided Ground
Desert Storm
F/A-18: Operation Iraqi Freedom
There's also some "Hunt for Osama bin Laden" game.

Quote:How about a more original location, say, in the US?
Sounds like a plan.
Personally I would want cities (not pre-designed levels) not one for every mission but they would be used until it was occupied.
this would allow for open strategies for the players, of course friendly and hostile AI should be very good at their respective jobs.

Look at open L-Systems as a way to build cities that aren't predesigned, that should give you some ideas of the pro's/con's of procedural content.

Their are a couple problems I can see with procedural content when it comes to urban combat.

- Making sure the generated cities provide choke points, defensible positions, etc.

- If you have vehicles in game, providing areas for the vehicles to pass through/fight in, while still providing areas better suited for infantry

Destructible enviroments
Not every building can be destroyed some have reinforced concrete or steel plates,etc,etc.
only a few wepons can damage this like rocket launchers(they dont have to necessarily destroy a whole building but can punch holes in the walls) or high-caliber cannons(its bullets will go through some walls)

Don't make it too easy to destroy buildings, this will eliminate any advantage of defensible positions.

Taking into account penetration of weapons (ala WWIIOL) is a great feature I wish more games implimented, would make you think twice before putting your back up against a thin wall :)

Weather and terrain that actually affect your visibility and movement.

Keep in mind that bad weather might not be that fun to play in, you'll really have to think about how far you want to push the weather.

What would you like in your dream military FPS ?

Are we talking shoebox shooter? or MMOFPS?

Ultimately my dream military FPS is a MMOFPS including land/sea/air, with command structures, supply chains, etc.

As other's have pointed out, the middle eastern battlefield is being done to death now the same way as WW2/Vietnam has been.

I agree with everyone else that a US based game would be great, I always enjoy fighting near landmarks, places I know, helps alot with immersion. I think that's one reason why WWII games have traditionally done so well, we know the weapons, the story, and we know the places.

Wherever you base the game, make sure people can recognize the setting.
I still want to see a WWI fps. More factions to choose from, and the planes/tanks are weak enough to attack on foot.
-- Single player is masturbation.
There seems to be a lack of FPS's for the old battlefields, such as the Civil War and the Revolution. Most games of this sort are strategy games. I dont know if it is because of the implementation but I think it could be done very well and may attract quite a few people.

Edit:
I am talking the more unofficial realm of course, not the line up and shoot at each other in a field, think "The Patriot," more like Gibson's band.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A. Einstein
My dream game would blend FPS, Tactical Shooter, Flight/Space Sim, RTS, RPG, & MMO style gameplay into a single seamless gametype where you couldn't tell a difference.
For a single player game the overall atmosphere is very important. The player needs to feel like he's in a war zone. This doesn't mean overwhelming the player with hordes of enemies.

This is, of course, subjective, but I think the best atmosphere ever in a war game was in Operation Flashpoint. Sure, the graphics aren't that great by today's standards, but the whole thing felt realistic despite unrealistically simple vehicle controls etc. I felt like being there probably more than ever in a game. It's the atmosphere that counts. I'm not sure what it was exactly that gave me this feeling in OFP and OFP: Resistance. From the first mission on, Resistance felt like you actually were an insurgent against the Red Army. Stealing materiel from them was great. This was all scripted and part of linear campaign, but still the atmosphere was one to remember.

As for multiplayer games, I've been trying to think of ways to persuade players into playing as a team like a real army should with a real chain of command etc. Of course, real "clans" play like this anyway, but most online games are just chaos and only very rarely does the atmosphere reach the desired level.

I recently played the Full Spectrum Warrior demo and was quite delighted at how it plays. The problem with its single player is that the enemies seem to be strictly scripted and thus always behave exactly the same. They should be actively trying to ambush my troops etc. I can stay in one place forever and no one ever comes to bother my troops. I know this requires a more complex AI system, but somebody should implement one. The great thing about the game is that you absolutely have to use your brains and teamwork to get through the game. Running with guns blazing means "game over". That's the way it is supposed to be.

IMHO, of course.

-- Jani

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement