Im new in 3D

Started by
4 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi. As i have said im new in 3D. I have programmend 2D games but i cant understand how a 3D mmm space works for an graphic API surface. I already know what a vector is and some phisics(trigonometry...). But i dont know if im missing something because i cant understand how can i make and display a 3D object in a surface. Thanks
Advertisement
Have you read anything about OpenGL or Direct3D?
Not really. Because i dont understand what do they mean.
I have managa SDL, DX, allegro(no 3D) but not opengl.
Direct3D is part of Direct X. It and OpenGL are the two big 3D graphics libraries. You could either use one of those or write your own software renderer. Writing your own is very difficult, but some people do it anyway because they enjoy the challenge.
and if you write your own software renderer then everything will be done on the processor and not the graphics card like opengl and directX. So it will be slower. However people do it to learn (I havnt... yet) about how directX and opengl work. Here is an opengl tutorial:
nehe

and here is a directX one:
andy pike
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
If you want to understand how something can look 3D on a 2D surface, you need to understand the "projective transform" and "depth buffer" techniques. Plug that into google (or your favorite graphics book) and study what comes out. It will lead to enlightenment!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement