Final Fantasy-ish spiral effect

Started by
12 comments, last by TheBluMage 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I'm writing some image effects for an RPG and want to try and create an effect similar to the ones used in FF7 and FF9 (and probably others that I haven't played) when the view spins around and blurs right before a battle. Assuming I have the frame I want to spin and blur (I don't know if there's a more technical name for the effect) rendered in a buffer, are there any ideas or references on how I might achieve a similar effect? Any advice is appreciated.
Advertisement
Rotate the camera on the Z, and take snapshots of the frame every few degrees, fading them out gradually.
Not giving is not stealing.
Any ideas on how I might get it to blur as it goes?
Quote:Original post by TheBluMage
Any ideas on how I might get it to blur as it goes?

o_0
That's the exact thing thedevdan just described...
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac
Not fade, but blur. I guess it's kinda hard to explain, I'll try and get a couple of screenshots today and post a link to better illustrate what I'm trying to do.
By fading together several different views at different angles, you do create a blur. Your render function should look as follows:

texture t;draw scene;grab an image of the screen and store it in t;for(angle = 1; angle<360; angle+=whatever) {   rotate camera;   draw scence with 50% transparency;   draw t on top of scene with 50% transparency;   grab an image of the screen and store it in t;}
That won't give him the look of ff7, he really does need to do some sort of funky blur to get it to look right (wait for his screenshots)
There is a tutorial at gametutorials.com on motion bluring. I havn't done it I was just exploring the site.

Clicky

I hope I did the link right other wise:
http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg3.htm
veni vidi vici"Be excellent to Each other" Bill and Ted
Hi, finally got the screenshots. I misplaced my DVR and had to use an emulator, which only supported the effect for FF9 and not FF7, so the only shots I have are from FF9. Unfortunately, I think these are a little more complicated than FF7's, but they should give you a good idea.

Frame 1
Frame 2
Frame 3
Frame 4
Frame 5
Frame 6
Frame 7
Frame 8
Frame 9
Frame 10
Frame 11
Frame 12