Tutorials - C++ or high language

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, I wish to start learn some programming, but I am not sure where to start.. I know assembly, and the extreme basics of C++, but I wish to learn more! Basicly, I seek tutorials that are downloadable/on web, as I dont have alot of money to buy books. I also wish to know, what language is best, C++, .net, something else? when it comes to programming in a high language of programming. Are there some free programs I can use to start up programming in C++/c++.net or similair? All help appreciated :) Thanks in advanced
Advertisement
It depends on what you want to do. And for every type of program are several solutions that work fine.

If you want to start programming games, most people suggest learning C++. However, C# became a language that's good for games aswell(In combination with Managed DirectX).

If you want to develop normal applications, things like Delphi, Visual Basic, C#, VB.NET, and any other programming language that supports the Win32 API is usefull. My choice would be C# for applications though, mainly because I already have basic C# kowledge and it's easy to get rolling with it.

Toolmaker

I mainly wish to get going on programming games, some apps, graphical and game development engines when I get more advanced into it and things like that. Basicly I need an object orientated program that can handle about 80-90% of every possible thing that can be programmed.

I know basic C++, I got 1 c++ book but I feel its more medium than beginner orientated, but I dont know if C++ cuts it these days, or if I should go to another languages. If c++ cuts it, I would like to know some beginner to medium tutorials, if you guys know better program languages with free programming interfaces and compilers, then please give me links and some tutorials to get started :)
There is no "better" or "worse" in terms of programming languages. Every programming langugage has its pro's and con's. I prefer C++, but that means nothing.

So - simply - if you know you like some language more than some other (no matter why), go for the language. Once you know some of the high-level language (especially object-oriented one) it's a lot easier to switch to another language.

Oxyd
For the gaming industry, C++ is the standard language. Nearly all commercial games are written in C++.

Toolmaker

First off: consider what return on your time investment you want. If you are planning on spending less than a year on learning to code (intensively) than forget C++. C++ is hardcore. C++ is for the pros.

Still, if you insist on learning C++, learn some basic programming, then come back and read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" - its available online for free in PDF and HTML form, and is a good way to learn if you don't want to buy Dijkstra's book.

Alternately, if you just want to make fun games, there are simpler options. For "straight into 3d" there's Torque, which is a complete, cheap, retail engine that uses its own embedded language. Or, for the fastest draw-to-screen sexy-easy 2d code environment, get Python and the PyGame package.
-- Single player is masturbation.
to learn c++ the book 'c++ programming fundementals' is a good one, it is the only book I used.
Oxyd: Well, its those pros and cons I am talking about, sorry if my english is a little rough, I come from Norway :)
What I mean is, what high end programming language will give me greatest control and most functionality when it comes to creating basic games to advanced engines?

Pxtl: I got from my year 17 in human years as the point of my programming origin til the end of earth (or til my death), is that enough time? :)
I plan to develop my skills for atleast a couple of years.. If its one thing I have learned from assembly programming, then it is that things take time, especially developing code and debugging it!

I dont wish to have some premade programs to make my games and engines, I wish to go straight to the core, know how it was built up and build from that! But basics first, so back to my original questions:

Tutorials for beginners (C++ I guess, I found Dev C++ that is free on the web :)). Not books, but web tutorials or downloadable free books, I cannot afford anything, I got like 50 norwegian kroner to live on, thats enough for 1 bread and 1 thing to put on that bread and really cheap dinner :P

And perhaps some basic tipes.. I know C++ bases some code upon libraries (DLL) and header files and self made library files and ur own source code, but I dont know alot about it.. tried opening a header file once but didnt understand alot of it back then.
There's no reason for a beginner to buy books on programming.

http://www.icarusindie.com/Literature/ebooks/

And there are plenty of other resources available. If you want to learn how to program, come up with a project (a simple game)and then implement it in a language. Any language. You should then take the project and translate it into another language. This

a) helps you learn a new language more quickly
b) forces you to understand concepts as seperate from the syntax of a language

Pxtl: I found the "thinking in C++", thanks for the tip, it'll help me get going ^_^

Anonymous: Wow, great link! :D

Thanks for pointing these out, this will surely get me going :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement