• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fguihen

animating people, making each person in a crowd move differently

This topic is 5468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry for posting this twice but i need as much feedback as possible on this topic. im new to all this game programming. i am making an application that shows the chaotic behavour of crowds. i want to do it in 3D. im wondering what would be usual ( and possibly best) method to create a simple stickman. my idea would be to create a class called "stickman". this would have a number of methods like "run", or "move_arms" etc.there would be a seperate class called "mans_intelligence" which would be the intelligence for my man. im not sure how it would work when i want the man to run, and move_arms at the same time,if id have to have each method in a seperate thread or something.are there any other ideas of how to do this properly that anyone can tell me? thanks.

Advertisement
There is no difference whether you make a stickman or a complex character, the techniques are the same.

I would look into Skeletal Animation. It gives the best results IMO.

If you use skelatal animation then you can blend two skeletons together.

So if you had your running skeleton and your waving animation you can blend them together to get running waving animations.

I would explain it here but you'd be better searching the forum for animation blending, theres alot better explanations of how to implement it than I could write given my limited time :)

Anyway, then when you call each method to select an animation you just keep track of what animations have been enabled, then each frame of your loop you update the skeletons that each individual stickman will need, work out the positions, blend them, then render the stickman with his own skeleton.

(reread what you wrote, not sure if what I just posted is what you were after. Did you want the method of showing the animation or how to store the selections of animations etc?)

what im looking for is how to have many different movements. lets say i have 3 men. all 3 are running, but the first one is flaying its arms, the second one is waving, and the third has its arms by its side. how do i call the run method, and the wave arms method at the same time? will i have to use threads, i am told not to use them , but they seem the only way to do it, im my head anyway.

do i have to have a load full runing animation coded, and have my full waving animation coded in another method, and run both simultaneously?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!