2D Particle Engines?

Started by
2 comments, last by Yosepp 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm currently developing a simple 2D engine, and as part of it, I want to create a particle engine. However, I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a link for me to a good tutorial that explains a simple particle engine, preferably using the ID3DXSPRITE interface in D3D9. Toolmaker

Advertisement
Unfortunately this client can't paste well...

I have a small 2d particle engine working using DX [but not ID3DXSPRITE]. The way I have mine setup is to store with each particle a position, velocity, color... essentially any information that a particle needs to know about. The actual particle system object knows any information common to all the particles. For me, that's a common texture to apply to all of them, and a list of operations to perform on each of the particles per time [where time is whatever fixed interval your animations/physics is locked to.]

Hopefully that gives you a little bump in the right direction, and remember that there's no real 'right' way to do it. Just play around with moving the sprites around the screen and doing things with them.

Have a look at Special Effects Articles on Gamedev, if you scroll down, there are some tutorials.

Konfu/Thermo
There' s also a good one in NeHe. It's OpenGL tho. But i think you could use the same techniques in DirectX.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement