• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
boolean

[web] Problem getting new content from webpage

This topic is 5409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a small problem with my web page (the comic). It would seem that once I update it with new content, I have to hit 'refresh' for it to retrieve the new content. I can close the browser and go back to the site, but only the old content is shown. I am using Opera 7, and in IE it works fine, plus any other website I visit that works in a similar way works fine (any web comic really). Does anyone know if there is something special I have to put in the header or something to get the page to download new data each time someone visits it? I have looked at some other pages and they don’t seem to have anything I don’t. Thanks all. [edit] Wow, I repeated a lot of words.

Advertisement
Web development forum, perchance? [wink]
But yes, I've had problems with Opera being overly cache-happy, hence I don't really use it anymore (so it's not just your problem). No browser is perfect... but there must be a workaround somewhere. I'd love to know too!

In Opera: Tools>Preferences>History and cache:
change the value of the Check Documents, Check Images, and Check Other comboboxes. For most people, higher values, such as 5 hours will probably be fine, but you may wish to lower this value to make Opera check for new content more often.

Oh, but no, I don't know of anything you can add to your webpage that will force browsers to refresh new content.

See thats the strange thing. If I go any other webcomic, it downloads the new comic fine when they update. Mine seems to be the only one where I have to force it to refresh to grab the new comic.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0" /> will probably do the trick. It's often useful to combine several tags as browsers can handle them differently depending on version and DOCTYPE.

If you have developed your own web-app for it you can emit the following headers as well...

Quote:

Cache-control: private, no-cache

Pragma: no-cache

Expires: Mon, 01 Jan 2004 01:00:00 GMT

The Cache-control header is the current standard, however the additional lines should be included for out of date software.

The Pragma: no-cache header is the HTTP/1.0 standard caching header.

The Expires date should be in the past to ensure that proxies, compliant browsers, etc will not cache the information.

That is an excerpt from a larger email, but that as all that is relevant from it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!