• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HexDump

Is character studio used in games?

This topic is 5409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I´m using 3d studio max as my modeler. I would like to have some skeletal animation system, so, I don´t know if use default max bones or character studio. What do you think?. Thanks in advance, HexDump.

Advertisement
Yes. Others use Biped, others use proprietary plugins, others use alternative DCC packages...

Quote:
Original post by HexDump
Couldn´t I achieve the same with plain max bones?.

HexDump.

You should be able to get the same results although I'm not sure about this (this holy thing is just incredible). The main goal of CS is not to be better than plain max bones but to allow the graphist to work faster.

And for your original question, it seems that Paul Steed uses MAX and CS (see his book)

Regards,

Hm. It is so.
MAX Bones can not import any motion capture data, while Character Studio or CAT can.

If you artist bounds the mesh to the bones, he has to do every thing by hand and he can not reuse the animations.

With Character studio or CAT he can import walk, jump or idle for any mesh he creates and combine the motions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!