Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D engines and multthreading

This topic is 6279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, For my own game I have designed a game architecture that uses a 3D engine (the Eldermage 6DX engine) and a client/server archiecture. It can be seen at http://www.rolemaker.dk/documents/Subproject1/Phase1-Design.htm but you don''t need to read it to understand my problem. The client and server can reside on the same machine and the 3D engine exists in the client only. In my design I have made a seperate thread for a client and server, but now I have stopped to think: Having multiple threads will naturally slow down the framerate of the main thread (the one running the renderer) but if not the scheduling of processes happens in a regular flow without much time viariation the animations will begin to stutter (=high variation in the frame rate over short periods of time). An alternative is only use one thread and place server task processing as calls within the main loop that calls the renderer. This way I can more strictly control what happens and when. My question is, do you think there is any problems with the multithreading solution? Do you think the game will stutter. Have any of you any experience with this? Any other alternatives? Jacob Marner

Guest Anonymous Poster
I am currently writing a 3d-engine and a game using it. I use to use threads and I don''t see any problem with them. Just calculate the delta ticks in the main thread and scale the animation speed with this value.

Sorry for my bad English...